PDA

View Full Version : This really bothers me

pshreck
03-07-2005, 12:19 PM
So in my apartment complex (it is an outdoor complex, only 3 floors and everyone has a door directly to the outside), there is an Indian family that lives a few apartments down.

A few occasions, I have been walking my dog or going to my car to go to school, and they are hanging out outside. I say something like "Hi", or smile and give a friendly wave. They never give any response back. Their is a possibility the woman speaks no english, but she seems to be like 27-35ish, and I cant understand how she isnt atleast learning common english. She also has 2 young children with her. I usually feel its really rude how they think its ok to completely ignore people in the apartment community. Another thing... the apartment community is in one of the safest places ever. No crime or anything.

So this morning, I am taking my puppy out back. The Indian woman and her son are out there, probably a good 20 yards away. My dog is sniffing around, playfully barking. Mind you, my puppy is around 9 pounds, and its a Boston Terrier. The little boy points at my dog, and I look over and smile or something. The woman immediatly runs over and picks up her son, and runs back inside her apartment.

I am probably being over sensitive here, but I hate how somehow people can justify such absurd rudeness.

Boris
03-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Yea, that would piss me off also.

Shajen
03-07-2005, 01:45 PM
I think it's cultural. I've had the same thing happen to me back when I lived in an apartment. Indian family there as well.

You say hi, they look at you like you're about to snatch their kid. Weird.

I realize my sample size is very small here, but so far we are a perfect 2-2.

nothumb
03-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Funny, there are a lot of Indians in this area and they're pretty friendly... although that's in a business environment and it's pretty much necessary for them.

You have two options. Either make formal overtures or start being a dick to them.

NT

2planka
03-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Maybe they're afraid your dog is a relative of theirs.

Oh that was mean spirited, bigoted, and crass. Yes, I'm insensitive.

astroglide
03-07-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have two options. Either make formal overtures or start being a dick to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice

TStoneMBD
03-07-2005, 02:23 PM
burn dog [censored] on their doorstep.

SenecaJim
03-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Just be glad they haven't eaten your dog and drive on brother, drive on.

chaas4747
03-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Make it a point to grill as many beef products as you can, outside youR apartment. They love that!

gamblore99
03-07-2005, 04:36 PM
i hate rude people. this would really piss me off too.

Boris
03-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Looks like the OOT consensus is to invite them over for BBQ and then burn some doggy doo-doo on their doorstep. Have fun Bro!

ilya
03-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Do you have the mark of the Untouchables upon you?

jaxUp
03-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Wow, this threadis pretty insensitive. I'm surprised nobody has gotten pissed off yet.

Add a vote to burning dog [censored] on their doorstep.

Benal
03-07-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make it a point to grill as many beef products as you can, outside youR apartment. They love that!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean pork.

Jack of Arcades
03-07-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean pork.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean "I don't know what the [censored] I'm talking about."

chaas4747
03-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah, pork is a muslim thing. I would be willing to bet they are Hindu.

Benal
03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean pork.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny 'cause I work with many indians, and they don't have a problem with beef, but they stay away from pork. Believe it's a religious thing.

DcifrThs
03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, pork is a muslim thing. I would be willing to bet they are Hindu.

[/ QUOTE ]

good odds driven analysis...i'd lay that bet too...give odds also...

-Barron

Jack of Arcades
03-07-2005, 05:30 PM
It is. Most Indians are Hindu, not Muslim.

ilya
03-07-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean pork.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny 'cause I work with many indians, and they don't have a problem with beef, but they stay away from pork. Believe it's a religious thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, many Indians are Muslims. Tens of millions of Indians! I would guess that your acquaintances number among them, and not among the 80% of Indians who are Hindus.

2planka
03-07-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this threadis pretty insensitive. I'm surprised nobody has gotten pissed off yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/wormtowne/apu1.gif

ilya
03-07-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/wormtowne/apu1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

DcifrThs
03-07-2005, 05:39 PM
almost every indian i know is my age. almost every one i've met speaks flawless english with a cool accent...

my good friend in business school right now (mustafa...or mus: read moose for short) is a practicing hindu and speaks fluent hindi with a bombay accent mixed with a california kinda drawl...great guy...i also went on a date with a muslim from india and she was quite withdrawn as is the custum for women from that culture...needless to say there was not a second date...

so my sample indicates a mix of people but leaning towards friendly and outgoing and kind and hindu.

in terms of your situation, just simply act in a way that does not intrude on them and if it makes you feel good, keep smiling and waving, if not dont...but dont expect them to fit into your mold of outgoing kind neighborly actions.

hope this helps reduce your frustration and anxiety.

-Barron

Bluffoon
03-07-2005, 05:40 PM
I never understand why people want to come here if they don't make an effort to assimilate into our culture. It makes no sense and I have no respect for people who exhibit this behaviour. I would just pretend that they don't exist.

jedi
03-07-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never understand why people want to come here if they don't make an effort to assimilate into our culture. It makes no sense and I have no respect for people who exhibit this behaviour. I would just pretend that they don't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about better standard of living? Democracy? Freedom of worship?

Plus just because people haven't assimilated, doesn't mean that they don't want to. It's tough growing up with certain cultural values, then having to completely change them around, even if it is by choice.

I'd imagine it's the same (though to a lesser degree) if a man living in New York City all his life moved to some place like Alabama or Mississippi.

But as far as the original poster goes, just don't sweat it. They don't want to associate with you, you don't have to associate with them.