PDA

View Full Version : Having to leave your computer when Multi-tabling

PSUinDC
03-07-2005, 10:04 AM
So I just want to rant a little and ask everyone if this has happened to them in any degree.

Saturday, I opened up 4 $10+1 SnG's at Party like I often do and started playing. By the beginning of the 3rd level, I was chip leader in 2 of my tables and had about the starting amount of chips on the other 2, so I was doing pretty good. Just then, my girlfriend called me and the first thing out of her mouth was "What are you doing right now?"... I said "Playing some Poker online"... then she proceeded to say that she was freaking out because she couldn't find her tax forms and was worried that someone had stolen them... and that if someone stole them, they had her SS# and all her info. She was pretty hysterical, so I put my SnG's in "away" mode and took a hit for $44.

Bah! I got back an hour later after finding her tax forms stuck behind a drawer in her dresser, and found that I luckily made 3rd place in on of the SnGs.

Don't you just hate it when you HAVE to get up from multitabling.. GOD!

skipperbob
03-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Wait till ur married...Ur in for a real treat /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PSUinDC
03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I know right? *sigh* Such is life. Gotta play tonight to work my ROI back up /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr_J
03-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Maybe I'm an arseh*le, but you won't get me leavin my tables unless the room is on fire. It's no different than as if I was in a business meeting. If it can wait, then it waits.

LaggyLou
03-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Last night ny DSL connection went down while I had 2 10+1's going. One was at the 200 level and I was in third, stacks were something like 4000/1700/1500/800. One was at the 50 level with something like 8 left, and I had 800.

When I got back a few minutes later I had come in second on the one, and had 500 with six players left on the other. Not so bad.

In any event, you did what you had to do. GF>$44.

skipperbob
03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Can you please come over to my house; I need your help dealing with Wifey /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dylan Wade
03-07-2005, 10:31 AM
WHIPPED!!

haha.. jk, it happens.

apd138
03-07-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm an arseh*le, but you won't get me leavin my tables unless the room is on fire. It's no different than as if I was in a business meeting. If it can wait, then it waits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr_J
03-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I believe your post is better suited to the thread titled "Interesting Proposition " /images/graemlins/wink.gif

"I need your help dealing with Wifey"

I am sorry, I only deal with women. No exceptions. Besides, you need to be playing at least $109s before she can afford me /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scuba Chuck
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
You might find this a little humorous. I wrote this in an email last night to a friend...

So, I've got all 4 SNGs going (about 15 minutes after we chat on IM). One's down to 5, Two are down to 4, and the other's down to 6. I've got a decent stack in 3 of them. All of a sudden, I hear a strange noise over the baby monitor, followed by some crying. Tina runs up stairs. She says "Demian, if you can hear me, I need help." Fuuuucccckkk. I've got 4 $55s running. Well, I happen to go out in 5th in the first one right then anyway. I'm not heading up yet. I start my intended aggressive play with the 2 bubble games. With much more resolve than usual. Anyway, I knock out a guy in each of them to bring it to ITM. I click check fold on all three games, and run upstairs. Tina's standing there with throw up all over Jack's blanket, crib sheets, the whole works. She asks me to take his blanket down and put it in the washer right away. Great, I'm thinking. Computer's near the wash room. Head back to the computer. Play a couple of hands on each. Head over to the washer/dryer - they're both full. Ugh. Empty dryer, back to computer. You get the picture. Anyway, my results from the 4 tables... 5,1,1,1. Guess I play well under pressure, lol. These results made my goal for the week /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

octaveshift
03-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Similar story:

Wife was coming back from NYC via train, and told me she would be arriving at station at 11pm, so I should plan to pick her up around then.

At 9:45, I decide I have enough time to play a $10 SNG, so I fire up the machine and get playing. Level 4 comes around, I am chip leader with 5 players left, and the phone rings. "Hi, it's me! I screwed up the time, and we are almost in the station."

Ugh.

So I click "post blind and fold" and SPRINT downstairs to the car, scream to the train station, pick her up, and drive back like Mario Andretti. (AWD turbo 4 life!)

Anyway, sprint upstairs, run to machine, to see I am now in the money, and miraculously, 2nd chip position.

Unclick the button, and raise after finding QKs in the BB. They both go "you're back!" and we have a laugh...

I ended up beating them both. w00t!

There is a lesson here. What is it?

Shorty35
03-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Perhaps some of the math whizzes could develop a simple little formula to measure "wife and baby interrupt adjusted ROI". In order to be accurate, of course, it should account for the "I need to make this loose call/push because if I dont either cash quickly or bust out I am dead" syndrome.

hyde
03-07-2005, 12:12 PM
You stopped thinking about odds.

odds the forms were misplaced......99%
odds someone stole them........< the remaining 1%
odds you could do anything useful about it in the time you would have taken to complete the games.....

................and maybe this just explains why I'm single

hyde

PSUinDC
03-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Haha thats a good one. Either way, it was +EV to go help her. And she still thinks that her engagement ring is coming from Poker money. So much for a plasma TV /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thigh
03-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Odds you may have overlooked since you're single...

1. Odds she's gonna go hysterical, call the police, mother, sister, etc. to come over and declare a national emergency.

2. Odds she spends the next three hours looking for the paperwork, finally finds it, with you not around helping and you end up sleeping elsewhere

3. Odds your sitting on the paperwork but can't currently feel the paper wrinkle everytime you move...this is an important one, because if you are sitting on it, and she finds out, well, I hope you like self play.

4. Odds she unplugs your computer for not coming in the first place.

1. 97.5%
2. 99%
3. 78%
4. 99%

Now, I realize to a single person these numbers don't add up. But they do, really, they do...just ask her.

EarlCat
03-07-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my results from the 4 tables... 5,1,1,1. Guess I play well under pressure, lol. These results made my goal for the week /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude that rules... I can't even get myself to play 2 tables yet, and I still panic every time I have to pee.

EarlCat
03-07-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last night ny DSL connection went down while I had 2 10+1's going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that. Yesterday my cable went down after I had signed up for Prima's WSOP Level 4 sit 'n go ($100+10). It came back up right before the game started... whew!

dfscott
03-07-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All of a sudden, I hear a strange noise over the baby monitor, followed by some crying. Tina runs up stairs. She says "Demian, if you can hear me, I need help."

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought you were all single college guys with no attachments and that I was the only one that dreaded the baby monitor.

In fact just last Friday my 1-year-old got very sick after dinner. For those of you that haven't had the pleasure, watching a baby puke is a very scary and very sad thing. He'd also fallen and hit his head pretty good earlier that day, so head injury + puking = bad thing. To make a long story short, I ended up taking him to the hospital.

I have to admit that I felt a little guilty when once they told me that he was going to be fine and could go home (just a stomach bug), I looked at the clock to see if I would be able to get any juicy weekend playing in by the time I got home. Alas, it was already 2am, so I was done for the night since I had an early morning (when you have kids, every morning is an early morning).

The Student
03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Aww crap - I just got engaged, and I gotta say, this thread is not exactly the uplifting stuff I usually read on 2+2. come on, there's gotta be something to look forward to besides wives freaking out and baby puke, right? (and yes, i already know that just like my SNG ROI for Feb, my future ROI for sexual advances towards my lady will also be dropping).

ts-

sofere
03-07-2005, 01:59 PM
You pee??? There's your problem /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

shoeman
03-07-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I just want to rant a little and ask everyone if this has happened to them in any degree.

Saturday, I opened up 4 $10+1 SnG's at Party like I often do and started playing. By the beginning of the 3rd level, I was chip leader in 2 of my tables and had about the starting amount of chips on the other 2, so I was doing pretty good. Just then, my girlfriend called me and the first thing out of her mouth was "What are you doing right now?"... I said "Playing some Poker online"... then she proceeded to say that she was freaking out because she couldn't find her tax forms and was worried that someone had stolen them... and that if someone stole them, they had her SS# and all her info. She was pretty hysterical, so I put my SnG's in "away" mode and took a hit for $44.

Bah! I got back an hour later after finding her tax forms stuck behind a drawer in her dresser, and found that I luckily made 3rd place in on of the SnGs.

Don't you just hate it when you HAVE to get up from multitabling.. GOD!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am married with an infant. There are many reasons I would abandon an SNG. This is clearly not one of them. I would gladly sleep on the couch. At least the dog can keep me warm.

dfscott
03-07-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am married with an infant. There are many reasons I would abandon an SNG. This is clearly not one of them. I would gladly sleep on the couch. At least the dog can keep me warm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with you there. I would be, "hang on, honey, I'll help you in a second..." and "did you check the [insert random place here]?"

Frankly, if I told my wife I just dumped $220 worth of SnGs to help her, she'd kill me.

Slim Pickens
03-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Last week, I've got two Party 11's running when I realize there's a small gap in the endless parade of my housemates washing every single one of their dishtowels individually, so I sieze the opportunity to wash my pants and both pairs of underwear I own. Both tournaments are in the early levels so I click Post and Fold, gather my laundry and bolt downstairs. I cram clothes in, start the machine, and zip back up the stairs. From the door, I get to watch aces disappear at one table, and jacks at the other. It couldn't have been just aces or jacks, it had to be both, at the same time, while I was gone, and they had to torture me by letting me see them. I swear, Party is rigged.

Slim