PDA

View Full Version : My first no limit tourney

09-22-2002, 12:51 AM
Alright, I'll admit that I don't know all that much about how to bet in NoLimitHoldem...but I guess practice makes perfect. So anyway, early on, pretty much every hand seems to involve an all-in (I probably should have expected it would be like this), and everyone all around me is rebuying left and right. I play very few hands all the way up to the end of the rebuy period...and people are starting to make comments about my tight play...but I didn't have to rebuy 8 times like they did.

So, about 2 hours into the tourney...I have 1300 in chips...the blinds are 100/200. A player who has been in too much all day, looks a little desperate as he goes all in from early position. I have AKs and am in middle/late position. My thought process is as follows: I'm very confident that my hand is better than his. If I reraise all-in (which I had only done once or twice up until this point), I'm fairly confident that everyone else will fold, and I'll get the leftover 700 even if he beats me.

So, if you didn't see this coming, I reraise all-in, and one of the tighter opponents behind me thinks for a full minute, and then calls, everyone else folds. The early all in has AQo and the late caller has pocket tens. I lose to both when a Q hits on the flop. Did I make the right decision or should I have waited for a different opportunity to make a move like that? A possible oversight of mine: perhaps I should have expected that someone with a stack of 6000 or 7000 (as the tighter player had) will call in the hopes of eliminating both of us.

Like I said, this was my first NLH tourney, so any comments or suggestions are welcome. Keep in mind this was a $15 buy-in tourney.

thanks
ryan

Ray Zee
09-22-2002, 10:56 AM
you did right. moving in usually gets out hands you dont want in here like a pocket pair, and you get to play against the ace queen headup. you just got unlucky that the tens came in and the queen hit. by the way the tens calling was a bad play so he certainly wasnt a good player, just a person that couldnt throw away a decent pair. stick with it and learn.
also register and login so more people will respond and read your posts. i tend not to read or reply to anonymous posts.