PDA

View Full Version : Set of Q's

ScanX
03-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em $400 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($357.9)
UTG+1 ($400)
UTG+2 ($362)
MP1 ($335)
MP2 ($168)
MP3 ($520.6)
CO ($382)
Hero ($392.5)
SB ($716)
BB ($554.5)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $4. SB posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls $20.

Flop: ($70) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, MP3 calls $35.

Turn: ($140) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 calls $457.60 (All-In).

Hero ?

The_Bends
03-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Call, I think you seee AK, AQ, KQ, K10 enough times to make this worth it. I can't see a set of Kings here given the preflop call, if he has them then you just have to give him the money. J9 can be ruled out unless he's a complete chump. AJ would seem to be the only possible scare hand. My worry would be that your very small flop bet could have allowed him to stay in with an Overcard and a gutshot straight draw. A bet of $60 or so would have given you more information than your $35

Hope it worked out..

Wayfare
03-07-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em $400 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($357.9)
UTG+1 ($400)
UTG+2 ($362)
MP1 ($335)
MP2 ($168)
MP3 ($520.6)
CO ($382)
Hero ($392.5)
SB ($716)
BB ($554.5)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $4. SB posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls $20.

Flop: ($70) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, MP3 calls $35.

Turn: ($140) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 calls $457.60 (All-In).

Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call...he has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif / or JJ -- something of that nature. You have greatly underrepresented the strength of your hand, and this must be taken into account when looking at the opponent's actions. Even if he has the nuts, you have redraws -- I would say the possibility you are ahead plus the possibility you will redraw is much greater than 50%, which is more than enough for what you need to call.

zaxx19
03-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Got to call barring any insane reads...

He wouldnt call a preflop reraise with AJs correct..and even if he did is he just gonna push like that?

Just call I think KK is the only hand Im seriously scared of here and oversets just make me shrug and cry.

ScanX
03-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I called not believing he could have called me w/ AJ and he had...AhJh...yep it was that sad.
And the saddest is that he hit and ran me

zaxx19
03-07-2005, 11:39 AM
....well thats donkeyfied but....although I love the weak lead when flopped sets come perhaps this wasnt the hand for it with such a draw heavy board..

Im not saying you played badly at all...but..just wracking my brain to see how you could have avoided is donkey catch.

Ive been seeing some weird hands in raised pots lately Q10 A10 AJ...usually sooted...

Popinjay
03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I called not believing he could have called me w/ AJ and he had...AhJh...yep it was that sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets look at it from the opponent's point of view. His preflop call was bad. Postflop play is interesting. You reraised him preflop, if you are TAG I will be putting you on AA, KK, QQ, and AK. Flop comes with K, Q, it is likely you have a set. Your bet of $35 is correct for him to call if he can win a $350 pot (maybe less since you dont hold his outs). Knowing you have a set, or a hand that is likely to pay off he pushes his hit turn. So postflop, did he play it bad? Looks pretty good to me.

TakeMeToTheRiver
03-07-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop call was a little suspect -- but not the worst I have ever seen. Post-flop play like this I have seen many times. There are huge implied odds and you gave him a decent price. If you have a tight image, your preflop reraise puts you on a big pair or possibly AK -- nothing else. He had four real outs and figures eight bluff outs (if a spade hit).

Cornell Fiji
03-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Muck to the overbet.

K /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif)

What could he push with?
AJ
J9 -- highly unlikely
KK
TT
AKd/s?
KQ
KT

It is much more likely that villain would push with AJ or KK here than any of the other hands he might hold

you have ~350 left and there is 130 in the pot therefore you have to think that he has TT/77/KT/KQ/AKs more than 3 times as often as when he has AJ/KK (*I didnt adjust for the chance that you are behind and come back to win)and I would be willing to bet that he shows you AJ or KK here much more than half the time.

I think that this is a simple case of not being able to get away from a big hand when you know you are beat.

From the villains perspective this is just another example of why it is great overbetting with the nuts (especially here when a spade or diamond will kill your action)

-Steve

greg nice
03-07-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its not sad
you tried to milk him with a weak flop bet and he called hoping to hit the miracle to get your whole stack.

Huskiez
03-07-2005, 05:46 PM
First off bet more on the flop. This flop is loaded with draws and very likely hit Villain.

[ QUOTE ]
Muck to the overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Call this bet absent a read.

[ QUOTE ]
you have ~350 left and there is 130 in the pot therefore you have to think that he has TT/77/KT/KQ/AKs more than 3 times as often as when he has AJ/KK (*I didnt adjust for the chance that you are behind and come back to win)and I would be willing to bet that he shows you AJ or KK here much more than half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pot is 130 + 350 = 480, so you only need .422 pot equity to merit a call. Given the number of hands we're ahead of here (which you listed), and how few we're behind (only two), I call. Party players are also unpredictable.

Villain can have AJ here half the time and it still be right to call, because we can outdraw AJ and if he has a hand like two pair or inferior set, we have him drawing really thin. Though I don't think he has AJ half the time anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that this is a simple case of not being able to get away from a big hand when you know you are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no way I know if I'm beat by a Party player pushing on a board that is loaded with draws unless he flips over his hand.

[ QUOTE ]
From the villains perspective this is just another example of why it is great overbetting with the nuts (especially here when a spade or diamond will kill your action)

[/ QUOTE ]
True enough. Maybe villain is better than default Party player.

SpeakEasy
03-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Pot-sized bet or more on the flop, and I'm not just saying this because I've seen your results.

I've been burned like this before. I've learned to make the flop bet really hurt if he calls with bad odds. Not just because it makes you feel better when he calls and takes this pot, but because its the correct play. Must also factor in the flush draw, and make sure that you kill his pot odds. Your flop bet was just the odds he needed to play a flush draw.

Replay this hand 100 times with a pot sized bet on the flop and you easily come out ahead.

fsuplayer
03-07-2005, 07:26 PM
I would bet 90-120 on this flop. this flop either completely missed him, or he has a pretty good piece (like AK), I would make it look scared and overbet this flop.