PDA

View Full Version : Testing the Waters

NLSoldier
03-07-2005, 08:13 AM
After becoming completely disgusted with 10/20 6max I decided to give the PL400 games a try tonight. I ran into some resistance with QQ.

I cant find this hand in PT but I remember everything except the exact bet amounts on the flop.

PL400 6max Villian and I each have ~$400.
I'm SB with QQ. MP limps, LP makes it 14 to go. I make it 38 to go. MP folds, LP calls.

Flop is J97r. I bet out like 60-70 and he raises the max. So lets say he raised about 150 more. This is one of my first orbits so I don't have much of a read other than that he didn't seem too crazy or anything. What's my move?

PS-Sorry if this is the wrong NL/PL forum, this is my first NL post (despite my handle /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Lawrence Ng
03-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Fold.

Lawrence

KaneKungFu123
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After becoming completely disgusted with 10/20 6max I decided to give the PL400 games a try tonight. I ran into some resistance with QQ.

I cant find this hand in PT but I remember everything except the exact bet amounts on the flop.

PL400 6max Villian and I each have ~$400.
I'm SB with QQ. MP limps, LP makes it 14 to go. I make it 38 to go. MP folds, LP calls.

Flop is J97r. I bet out like 60-70 and he raises the max. So lets say he raised about 150 more. This is one of my first orbits so I don't have much of a read other than that he didn't seem too crazy or anything. What's my move?

PS-Sorry if this is the wrong NL/PL forum, this is my first NL post (despite my handle /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]
call and check raise the turn.

Wayfare
03-07-2005, 10:42 AM
The move is to not reraise preflop, so your information check/raise on the flop can be made more cheaply if you get one you like (at least that's my move).

As played, I fold.

Yeti
03-07-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

ethan
03-07-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

His raising the max isn't 150 more, it's 210-230 more (90 preflop + 65ish*2). It's a push, since you'll only have $60 behind if you call. Sure doesn't look like he's afraid of QQ.

turnipmonster
03-07-2005, 11:12 AM
just out of curiosity, what's your range of reraising hands preflop?

--turnipmonster

Wayfare
03-07-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just out of curiosity, what's your range of reraising hands preflop?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

From the small blind, only two come to mind. Yes I know this is a problem at high stakes.

Leroy Soesman
03-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I think I would play this the same way postflop. That is, bet around the pot on the flop, and I would definatley fold to that reraise (without further info).

You are representing something like AA or KK, and he just doesn't care.

It's not likely you are facing AJ here or anything. I 'd sooner say you are facing KK or AA or a set (JJ or 99 likely), I wouldn't be too afraid of a straight. If this guy bluffed me out of a pot in this way however, I would be sour though.:D

As for the preflop reraise, I don't think you are making too big a mistake there. Postflop play is paramount in 6 - max, although I probably would've just called with the Q's here. Because I can't outplay my average opponent well enough to reraise Q's preflop, and play my marginal pair out for possibly my whole stack.

NLSoldier
03-08-2005, 05:33 AM
I was pretty sure I was beat and idiotically pushed anyways (did I mention I suck at NL?). He had 99 and I got no help.

For those of you questioning the preflop play...The fact that I'm obviously not that great postflop was one of my biggest reasons for the reraise preflop. I thought I had a decent shot at taking it down right there. I guess there must have been a fair amount of raising the max going on preflop because smoothcalling didn't even cross my mind.

LuvDemNutz
03-08-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was pretty sure I was beat and idiotically pushed anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds familiar...