PDA

View Full Version : Bad laydown heads up?

shant
03-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Villain is a sLA-A (21/12). I was going to bet any river card except the one that came. Should I have bet it anyway? Is this a bad fold heads up?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

tizim
03-07-2005, 07:14 AM
The river fold is tough. You're pretty much only ahead of KQ, KT, and maybe QT. I would've called anyway because your check likely could have induced a bluff from whatever Villain had. I think it's close though.

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a sLA-A (21/12). I was going to bet any river card except the one that came.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this situation, instead of betting any river besides the Ace, I sometimes check against an aggressive player to induce a bluff. When you bet the river, he won't fold any hands that beat you (77-TT) after calling the turn, but he'll most likely fold hands you beat (AK, AQ, etc) since you showed so much strength earlier. If you check, however, an aggressive player may see it as a sign of weakness and try a desperation bluff.

gaming_mouse
03-07-2005, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The river fold is tough. You're pretty much only ahead of KQ, KT, and maybe QT. I would've called anyway because your check likely could have induced a bluff from whatever Villain had. I think it's close though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice analysis. It might be worthwhile to list all his possible raising hands, see what percentage the ones listed make up, and see if you have the pot odds to call that river bet. I'd do it but I'm too tired. Also, I agree with your point that against aggressive players you have more induced bluff equity than value-bet equity.