PDA

View Full Version : Capped AQs preflop

thesharpie
03-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (17 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Should I not cap it preflop? I figured even if I am dominated the extra bets from the limpers will make up for it. The rest is pretty standard right?

college_boy
03-07-2005, 05:37 AM
My first inclination was not to cap preflop but with all the callers I don't think it's a bad play at all. The rest of the hand is good.

thesharpie
03-07-2005, 05:50 AM
If all 4 opponents called the turn I was going to check raise the turn for value, and the deception can't hurt if I hit my flush. Like this play?

reubenf
03-07-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If all 4 opponents called the turn I was going to check raise the turn for value, and the deception can't hurt if I hit my flush. Like this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that play before I realized someone folded, but discarded it because I don't want MP3 3-betting and knocking people out.

Nick Royale
03-07-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, value betting draws on the turn is rarely correct. in this case you have ~20% equity, maybe sligtly more since hitting an ace will sometimes win you the pot. Your equity is really slim and getting 3-betted by the agressor would be really, really bad. Don't check/raise.

ArturiusX
03-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Can you explain value betting a draw is rarely correct? Sounds interesting.

Entity
03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Value betting a draw on the turn is rarely correct. That's because you're rarely in a situation where you have enough potential callers or a strong enough draw to be doing the betting.

Rob

davelin
03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick said on the turn, that's because your equity is rarely high enough with the appropriate number of callers you'd expect.

ArturiusX
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
So in short, unless your bet is going to produce better than 4:1 odds off the bet (4 callers), its not correct to value bet on the turn?

Sorry, Im a bit of a child sometimes /images/graemlins/smile.gif

davelin
03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So in short, unless your bet is going to produce better than 4:1 odds off the bet (4 callers), its not correct to value bet on the turn?

Sorry, Im a bit of a child sometimes /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, although don't forget to discount your outs slightly when the board pairs.

cold_cash
03-07-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Im a bit of a child sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your draw. If you have a huge draw you could raise/bet for value with only 3 callers, (or sometimes even 2).

But yeah, you get it.

John White
03-08-2005, 03:36 AM
AQs is a marginal call against a 3-bet if you haven't already entered the pot. Why would already being in the pot make it a capping hand?

Nick Royale
03-08-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AQs is a marginal call against a 3-bet if you haven't already entered the pot. Why would already being in the pot make it a capping hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
AQs rises in value since there are many players in the pot, I still wouldn't cap it though.