PDA

View Full Version : Surefire moneymaking scheme

Irieguy
03-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Go to a medical conference and hang out in the hotel bar with a deck of cards. Learn where the ATM machine is so you can give directions from the bar. After some of the doctors have had a few rounds, teach them how to play chinese poker.

Irieguy

ZebraAss
03-07-2005, 05:38 AM
…of you could sell bodily fluids.

(HaHa, nice)

slickpoppa
03-07-2005, 05:43 AM
Now that you mention it, I have never heard of any doctors being good at playing poker. They've got to be out there, but they seem to be underrepresented in the poker world. Are their any respected 2+2ers who are MD's? Maybe doctors are just too busy, or maybe they all just naturally suck at poker /images/graemlins/wink.gif

raptor517
03-07-2005, 06:33 AM
doctors are too busy helping people, changing the world, and other foolish things like that to partake in the lifestyle we have all grown accustomed too.

Skipbidder
03-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Ask again in May.
I'll have my MD then, and then you can judge whether or not I'm respected.
My now ex-wife did not view poker (or bridge) as an acceptable career choice. Thus med school.
I played online all along the way. The semi-regular checks came in pretty freaking handy. (Although I spent way too long slogging it out in relatively difficult Planet Poker 5-10 games before moving to play against the fishies on the Party skins.)
The program director of my residency program is not a big fan of gambling. It remains to be seen whether or not I'll be able to play via laptop on days when I am on overnight call. (Has to be laptop, as the hospital blocks access to gambling sites for it's network.)

By the way, I would say that the home games I've played with med students were tougher than the ones I played with graduate philosophy or graduate physiology students (yes I collect useless degrees).

maldini
03-07-2005, 07:07 AM
rrrrrrrrrrrrrright. docters are chumps. generally nice but weak. you cannot fail out of most medschools. you can keep taking classes until you pass. there are many, many, dumb, bad doctors. most are smart, granted but not any more so than 2+2ers i'm willing to say.

my experience is that they are aweful at any competition. they ran to the books b/c they needed money and status to feel important. i mean, who would do that job? most are great people i'm sure but that job down right sucks.

maldini
03-07-2005, 07:08 AM
by the way, what is chinese poker? i like it already

stripsqueez
03-07-2005, 07:42 AM
croupiers are the worst poker players ever

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

obex
03-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm an MD. My best poker buddy is one as well. We play online in our spare time and have been progressing through the levels, but we don't have a lot of time to devote to it. We both play primarily 109 sngs now, 2or 3 a night, and are clearing a couple of grand a month in our spare time. Not too shabby a hobby...
As far as the moneymaking scheme.. Good idea. Doctors in general have unchecked egos.

skipperbob
03-07-2005, 09:58 AM
This oughta be fun /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

skipperbob
03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
3-street PaiGow

skipperbob
03-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Sadly, you & I are only 2 people still alive who know what a croupier is /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skipperbob
03-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Pay for your trip?

Elem100
03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Heh, this is getting OT I guess, but I've certainly found this thread amusing, my entire family are doctors.

But then I'm in the UK and I guess its a bit different in the US, there's not so much emphasis on money here because at best only half the work is private, so its more of a lifestyle choice than anything else (and over here there's no such thing as retakes in medicine).

Its interesting what you say about lack of competitiveness, from my experience there doesnt seem to be any difference from any other population group. I would imagine though that when you've had a good life doing a job where people look up to you in it, getting well paid etc. you dont really feel you have to prove anything anymore.

Mark

Irieguy
03-07-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rrrrrrrrrrrrrright. docters are chumps. generally nice but weak. you cannot fail out of most medschools. you can keep taking classes until you pass. there are many, many, dumb, bad doctors. most are smart, granted but not any more so than 2+2ers i'm willing to say.

my experience is that they are aweful at any competition. they ran to the books b/c they needed money and status to feel important. i mean, who would do that job? most are great people i'm sure but that job down right sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this post an example of how 2+2ers are on intellectual par with docters[sic]?

Irieguy

IvyGrizzly
03-07-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rrrrrrrrrrrrrright. docters are chumps. generally nice but weak. you cannot fail out of most medschools. you can keep taking classes until you pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Piece of cake. Then you go through residency and work for days at a time for years trying not to kill people, no problem.

stupidsucker
03-07-2005, 05:12 PM
I give you this link as proof at least one doctor knows how to play poker. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=15228&Number=1872782&Boa rd=singletable&what=showflat&page=2&view=collapsed &sb=5&o=14&fpart=2&vc=1)

stupidsucker
03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Did it ever dawn on you to think...

hmmm what was Irieguy doing at a medical conference?

Skipbidder
03-07-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I give you this link as proof at least one doctor knows how to play poker. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=15228&Number=1872782&Boa rd=singletable&what=showflat&page=2&view=collapsed &sb=5&o=14&fpart=2&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

He's an OB in Vegas? He needs to do well at poker just to try to pay his malpractice insurance.

kspade
04-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Just happened to run across this link while doing some archive work. Anyone happen to see the final table of the WSOP razz event? One guy was a doc who had never played the game before - had only read Phil's razz section on the plane.

suited_ace
04-05-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, you & I are only 2 people still alive who know what a croupier is /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

suited_ace
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just happened to run across this link while doing some archive work. Anyone happen to see the final table of the WSOP razz event? One guy was a doc who had never played the game before - had only read Phil's razz section on the plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, WSOP 2004 Razz champion was TJ Cloutier, and something tells me that he didn't learn Razz by reading Phil's razz section on the plane.

kspade
04-05-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, WSOP 2004 Razz champion was TJ Cloutier, and something tells me that he didn't learn Razz by reading Phil's razz section on the plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

ONE OF THE GUYS AT THE FINAL TABLE - not the winner. But I like your read on TJ, seems dead on. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SNOWBALL138
04-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Is chinese poker somehow more addictive than other forms of poker. Would it be easier to get someone hooked on the game and then take their money then say, teaching them how to play Razz?

suited_ace
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Oooops, sorry. I'm still waking up...

Amid Cent
04-05-2005, 01:05 PM
I contracted croupier once...but I took some medicine and it went away.

Advise from an old drunk guy in Binion's - "Always parlay the hard ways"

networkman
04-05-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Is this post an example of how 2+2ers are on intellectual par with docters[sic]?

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that cracked me up /images/graemlins/smile.gif