PDA

View Full Version : Is Gus's chip flick technically a string bet?

Daliman
03-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Watching the 3rd WPT he won vs Hoyt Corkins, (TY bitorrent!), he seem to very often stack chips out, then pick them up with one hand and flick them into the pot with 2 or 3 flicks, chips in each flick. Shouldn't the bet be done by the first flick?
I could swear this is technically string, but maybe it's a professional courtesy thing.

Apathy
03-07-2005, 07:43 AM
I can't imagine anyone calling a string bet in a wpt event, teaches proper etiquette and manners does not appear to be a WPT objective.

Plus was the bet a raise or plain bet, I think if you announce raise you might be able to get away with more then if you say nothing and start flicking.

Brainwalter
03-07-2005, 08:39 AM
And if you announce an amount of a bet you can flick the chips in one at a time if you want. OP didn't say whether or not he verbalized an amount first, might that be it?

SossMan
03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
as long as they are all in his hand, it's fine. He just can't go back to his stack.

Daliman
03-07-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And if you announce an amount of a bet you can flick the chips in one at a time if you want. OP didn't say whether or not he verbalized an amount first, might that be it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no verbalization. I don't think he announces his bet too often, but matbe his raises..

BTW, in response to to other poster, it was a bet.

Daliman
03-07-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as long as they are all in his hand, it's fine. He just can't go back to his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that sound ripe for an angle shot then. What if someone had big hands and could hold 30 chips in there, and then flipped out like 6 at a time for a read? Does Gus have to put all chips in his hand in the pot if he's ficking them out, as several times I've seen perople cut off just a call when they obviously have enough chips in their hand to raise with.

jackdaniels
03-07-2005, 05:37 PM
The difference is that if you don't announce "raise" (don't need to specify amount), as soon as your chips hit the table you have just "called". For example: Someone bets 400 and you only have a 1000 chip in your hand. If you toss that in without announcing "raise", the dealer will return 600 to you. If you announce "raise", you may proceed to flick that chip in and then decide how much you want back (200 or less).