PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 Taj Hand: Stop and Go or Check and Raise?

Jeffage
09-21-2002, 08:19 PM
I'm playing in a lively 10-20 game at The Taj Mahal. On this hand, one loose EP player limps, all fold to me in the SB and I raise with KQo. The BB, a decent player who plays well postflop but a twinge loose preflop calling raises cold, calls as does the limper. 3 players, $60 pot. The flop comes 10-5-3r. I bet out. The BB raises, and the limper folds. I call. I figure I likely have two clean outs unless he is playing something like K10 or Q10. The turn is a an offsuit queen. I check, he bets, I call. River is a 2. I bet out. He pauses, a little taken aback, and calls. I show my hand and he mucks. My question is, how many would play this way, and how often. If I checkraise the turn, I get pounded if he really has a monster (unlikely) or he folds (which can't be that horrible) and I miss a bet. Usually I would go the turn checkraise route here, but I find lately that I am gaining an extra bet on the end in these spots using the stop and go on occassion. What do you think of how I played this hand, and how often do you employ this technique instead of the standard checkraise? What criteria do you consider? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

LotusX
09-21-2002, 09:26 PM
I LOVE the way u played it (i might not raise preflop here, or i woudl but only 40-50% of the time)

the turn call river bet is a pattern i use often, confuses the hell out of people and also they are less inclined to raise 2 pair on the river then turn it seems.

astroglide
09-22-2002, 04:02 AM
sounds perfect on every street to me.

09-22-2002, 06:18 AM
I would checkraise the river. You could of made an extra BB here.

PokerPrince

Jeffage
09-22-2002, 01:29 PM
Not if I knew my opponent was going to check down the river with his pair of tens.

Jeff

Ginogino
09-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Because of your stop-and-go, BB put two big bets in the pot after the turn card came -- one each on turn and river. If you checkraised him on the turn, how often would he call (given the 10's you put him on)? How often does he think you'd checkraise with less than Q's? How often does it make sense for you to checkraise with less than Q's (say once in a while you checkraise with AK - which would give you 10 outs against him, though some could be compromised outs)? If he calls your reraise 3/4 of the time or better, then how often will he call a river bet if he doesn't improve?

In the low limit games I play in (is the word "in" used once too often here?) I would not be much surprised to be reraised by a big blind bettor who held 64 and was trying a semibluff for a free card (or something like that). I think a checkraise with the occasional AK might pay off there as well. You may be leaving money on the table.