PDA

View Full Version : I would be grateful for an assessment of these two hands. thanks

PktAcesSoWht
03-07-2005, 01:13 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t4229)
Hero (t4689)
SB (t4582)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t800.

Flop: (t3225) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1600</font>, SB calls t800.

Turn: (t6425) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1464</font>, SB calls t957 (All-In).

River: (t9246) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t9246

SB showed 66 with lower flush.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t5827)
SB (t2002)
Hero (t3205)
UTG (t2466)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t800) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1602</font>, Hero calls t1202.

Turn: (t4004) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t4004) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t4004

UTG showed QQ

I would welcome any thoughts on my play here good bad or indifferent. I was successful with them, but want to make sure that I played it right, or if I made a mistake somewhere. thank you.

Allinlife
03-07-2005, 01:33 AM
basically remember when you will be betting big chunk of your stack into the pot, so big that it commits you, it's often better to go allin for maximum folding equity

curtains
03-07-2005, 01:34 AM
You definitely don't have to call with 98o in the 2nd hand. Once you do call, and he bets 400 on the 965 flop, all your chips should be going in the middle.

Scuba Chuck
03-07-2005, 01:35 AM
To begin with, I don't play pokerstars, so take this for FWIW.

And I don't know what buyin this is, so that could change some of my below responses. See What is a hand? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1861331&amp;page=6&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1)

Hand 1) I think you have to consider pushing this hand PF, after SB reraises you. ATo, is a top 15% hand. That's a huge edge when it's 3 handed. Furthermore, I think you're attitude is that if you double up, you're highly likely to win this bad boy. (I obviously think Villains play here is horrible)

Hand 2) I would have folded this hand PF - you might be compelled to call to 'advertise' that you'll defend your blinds - which I think is foolish here. The flop is precisely the scenario you can be convinced of playing with this kind of hand, only to lose half your stack.

OK, so here we are post flop. Now what? What was your intent with your 400 bet? Value bet? Had you thought about what you would do if villain called or reraised before the action? Was your reasoning for calling, solely based on the extra 4 outs? This is a dangerous hand on the bubble. Frankly, I think stealing blinds is a lot more attractive than this play.

Scuba Chuck
03-07-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once you do call, and he bets 400 on the 965 flop, all your chips should be going in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statement, but what about what really happened, villain check raised?

curtains
03-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Sorry I misread, I thought the villian bet 400 and then was raised by the hero.

I'd have bet more on the flop so that I'd be pot committed to the checkraise anyway. You are going to beat an overpair about a third of the time on that flop anyway, so I don't want to committ a bunch of money and then fold.

adanthar
03-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Hand 1: I used to hate minimum reraises. I now think that fearing them as much as I did is a big mistake. You should still probably only call because of the risk of a higher ace, but once you hit a T and he bets 1/4 of the pot this is an automatic push. Unless he is a much trickier player than most he will not play AA this way and it's doubtful that AK is slowplaying this board.

Hand 2: If he hasn't minraised before I fold PF. If he has, I call, then put him all in on the flop.

Scuba Chuck
03-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Curtains, out of curiosity, how much of your decision is dependent on the fact that our hero has villain covered?

Scuba Chuck
03-07-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: If he hasn't minraised before I fold PF. If he has, I call, then put him all in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very seasoned advice, I stand corrected.

PktAcesSoWht
03-07-2005, 11:48 AM
I should have added a little information here about the second hand mostly. My blind was getting stolen by this player round after round with few exceptions. I figured that he was just trying to steal my blind again, so that is why I played the 98. I felt pretty good about the board and was happy to have hit it and to have the str8t draw as well. I had decided that I would be comfortable going all in on this flop if necessary. I am trying to be a little more aggressive, because I have done poor at defending my blinds in the past.

Thanks for the great advice on these hands.

PktAcesSoWht
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Scuba,
I definitely thought the same thing that if I won that hand I would win, which I did. That is why I pushed at 1400 because I thought I had better hand and wanted to take him out, and there was no consideration that I would fold or just call at that point.

the second hand:
I had to defend the blind because this guy was stealing the blind with this type of raise constantly and I thought that this was a hand that I could play. My 400 bet was about half the pot, to see where I stood since he had checked. When he went all in I felt that this was just an attempt on his part to buy the pot with nothing or bottom pair. That is why I called his all-in. I would normally not call a raise with that type of hand preflop.

Thanks for the great info.

rickr
03-07-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had decided that I would be comfortable going all in on this flop if necessary. I am trying to be a little more aggressive, because I have done poor at defending my blinds in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your comfortable, then put the pressure on him. Calling down allows him to price the hand, and provides no folding equity for you. Shove it in and live with the results.

Later,
Rick

PktAcesSoWht
03-07-2005, 02:13 PM
thanks.