PDA

View Full Version : ABC poker no good above 50/1?

og5
03-07-2005, 01:02 AM
I've been practicing 4 tabling the 50/1 tables at party and am getting a little better at it, my BB/hr seems to flucuate a lot so I don't plan on moving up until I start winning consistently. However I did try the 1/2 tables today to see what it's like at the level. I found the tables to be much tighter, the players are definitely better.

I was wondering, can a mechanical, ABC playing style still work at the 1/2 level and above? At 50/1 I can play a straight forward game without reads and still get marginal results, I wasn't able to do that at 1/2.(not today at least) This article about multitabling suggested that it can work but I'm not so sure:

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/shepperson0305.html

Thanks

Nate tha' Great
03-07-2005, 01:03 AM
You mean 50/100? I wonder the same thing myself.

CallMeIshmael
03-07-2005, 01:19 AM
The quick answer is: yes, absolutely.

What needs to change in your idea of 'ABC Poker'.

If the player I was 2 years ago were to sit at a table with the player I am now, he would say things like:

- He's a maniac
- I can't believed he raised there
- I'm better than he is, he's just getting lucky.

Your idea of ABC poker grows as you do.

My advice would be to keep playing, don't move up until you're comfortable, and you can't read enough material with 2 + 2 on it (both the website and the publications)

EDIT: I just read the site to which you referred.

I don't exactly agree with:

[ QUOTE ]
In most games you will find on the Internet, treating all opponents, as one generic opponent is sufficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a copy of pokertracker should help out big with this.

oreogod
04-09-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If the player I was 2 years ago were to sit at a table with the player I am now, he would say things like:

- He's a maniac

My advice would be to keep playing, don't move up until you're comfortable, and you can't read enough material with 2 + 2 on it (both the website and the publications)

EDIT: I just read the site to which you referred.

I don't exactly agree with:

[ QUOTE ]
In most games you will find on the Internet, treating all opponents, as one generic opponent is sufficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a copy of pokertracker should help out big with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

ABC poker does change. But I want to ask u about that (I know this thread has been buried for a while).

When most ppl start out they think ABC is play premium hands and have a fit or fold policy with the flop. Then comes the LAG ish phase where u think u have a grip on what u are doing then realize u have a lot to learn.

Someone who is just starting, playing tight fit-or-fold, will think Im crazy...but I play +EV hands, I count my outs apporpriatly (discounting and not overvalueing) so where it looks like Im raising with a marginal hand, it may be marginal looking to them, but has a lot of power and draw to it. Then u start incorporating more opponent driven plays into it...anyway thats where Im at.

I wanted to ask, is where u are at much different? Im just curious (and Im sure u could be in some far off advanced place I have no comprehesion of, but I am curious). This question is for Ismahel...but Id love other comments as well.

GrunchCan
04-09-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

- He's a maniac

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this so much, its scary.

rmarotti
04-09-2005, 06:17 AM
I play retarded poker at 5/10 and have a wealthy winrate.

JoshuaD
04-09-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play retarded poker at 5/10 and have a wealthy winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky fish. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rmarotti
04-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Yes.