PDA

View Full Version : How Is This A5 Push?

Skip Brutale
03-07-2005, 12:58 AM
5 handed (over 1/2 of my out of the money finishes are 5th place) I have 1700 chips, 100/200. 2 guys have around 2500.

I have A5 one off the button. Do I push or wait for a better hand? I decided to go for it and the player behind me immediately went over the top all-in, after 2 minutes of the big blind disconnecting and reconnecting I finally got to see those Kings and get another 5th place added to my record.

Was this push too loose or a victom of circumstance?

Allinlife
03-07-2005, 01:01 AM
I'd probably push..

AtticusFinch
03-07-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5 handed (over 1/2 of my out of the money finishes are 5th place) I have 1700 chips, 100/200. 2 guys have around 2500.
Was this push too loose or a victom of circumstance?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very close, but I'd probably muck this. Counter-indications:

1) You have 8.5 bb left, so you're not totally desperate yet.
2) It's 5-handed, so you have a little time to catch a better hand
3) You're out of position, so your folding equity is lower
4) You're probably in deep doo-doo if called.

As I said, I think it's very close, and other considerations like reads, how long since your last steal, etc., could easily change my mind. I certainly don't think it's bad to push, I'm just personally not quite ready to push this hand here, at least by default.

EDIT: I probably would push this 4-handed. Perhaps that's too fine a distinction, but I find the actual bubble has much greater psychological effect than the "penultimate bubble."

curtains
03-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Close call. I tend to fold in this spot if my opponents have KK, and otherwise I push. But really it is close....I don't think theres anything wrong with folding. (I'd probably fold)

Travis
03-07-2005, 01:38 AM
I know you guys are going to hate this, but does he have to push? I know everyone hates violating the 10BB rule but how much folding equity do you think he looses by raising to t475 or so? Fold to the allin reraise. This play is pretty dependent on the texture of the table, I guess. Blinds are pretty high and he needs to be running some steals. Can't wait around for AK to do them.

What buyin is this?

Allinlife
03-07-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know you guys are going to hate this, but does he have to push? I know everyone hates violating the 10BB rule but how much folding equity do you think he looses by raising to t475 or so? Fold to the allin reraise. This play is pretty dependent on the texture of the table, I guess. Blinds are pretty high and he needs to be running some steals. Can't wait around for AK to do them.

What buyin is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your line much better actually

curtains
03-07-2005, 01:46 AM
If you are going to raise to 475 and fold to an allin, your hand value isn't really important, assuming the blinds aren't short stacks.

If the blinds are short, then I agree you shouldn't open allin, because you can get away from it when the big stack on button wakes up with a hand, but you can call the allin's from the blinds. It'd help to have all the chip count information.