PDA

View Full Version : Runner Runner top two.

09-21-2002, 07:04 PM
2-4 He on Ladbrokes at 5 table max table.
Player to my just arrived and I have absolutely no information on him.

I raise with KQo on cutoff and the player to my left (button) called and so did BB.

Flop comes: 5d 10c 3h
I bet and the button raises and only me call.
Turn: Ks I bet (dont wanna give him a free card, correct?)
He raises and I decide to just call him down.

But the river gives me a Queen.
Board: 5 10 3 K Q
I bet again and he raises me... should I call or raise?

09-21-2002, 07:06 PM
I just called and he showed me K7o and I had him beat all the way.
(flop was 5 10 3)

I ended up taking a lot of his money by inducing bluffs from him)

09-21-2002, 09:57 PM
i would have layed it down when you hit your king and he raised, fearing a set, but if i called and hit my queen on the river, i probably would've checkraised.

good luck,
TW

Andy B
09-22-2002, 04:17 PM
If you're inclined to lay down top pair with a nice kicker in a short-handed game, I recommend that you not play short-handed.

Admittedly, I would probably just call on the end. The guy raised you three times after all. The only things that beat you, though, are a set and a very unlikely straight. Most players would wait until the turn to pull the trigger with a set and a board of that texture. It's much more likely that you're against two pair or AT or something, so re-raising definitely has value.

You should at least consider check-raising the turn.

09-22-2002, 08:57 PM
you're right i shouldn't play heads up, which i dont /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Erdnase
09-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Hi King_J,

I would definitely raise the river. Maybe even the turn. But since you do not know anything about this opponent, calling the turn is fine. But even vs. an unknown, top two on the river is a monster and you should raise. He can only have you beat with trips and a straight, both unlikely, since he raised flop and turn. Most people wait until the turn with a set and most also do not raise with a backdoor str. draw on flop and turn !

But there are many hands he will call you with, some (like two pair) he will even pop back and you win two more bets (three if you read him well).

So: raise the river.

Top two is a monster hand shorthanded. Make the most of it.

Greets, Erd.

09-24-2002, 03:24 AM
I'll give you the best advice about this hand, which everyone has failed to even look at. Fold after you get raised on the flop !!! You have nothing and are definelty beat. You need to hit at least one of the remaining 6 cards, (k's or q's) to even have a chance of winning. Drop the hand after being raised on the flop, especially at this level, where players are more straight forward.

Cheers