PDA

View Full Version : TAG vs. LAG

phrosty
03-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Who wins more money? I quite often seem to see the LAG's making huge wins while the TAG's seem to grind out the small ones. I would imagine loose-aggressive has a much higher variance but I was wondering what opinions might be out there on this subject. All the books advocate tight aggressive play I guess it has alot to do with the texture of the table. I have been experimenting with loose aggressive play and wonder if anyone could give me some ground rules for implementing this style?

ihardlyknowher
03-07-2005, 12:45 AM
When experimenting, always remember to wear protection. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The condom of poker is that little button with the "D" on it.

Allinlife
03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
LAG should play in 6 max
LAG should be trained at hand-reading skills
LAG should nearly never slowplay and betaway with monsters
LAG should recognize the importance of position

overall being a succesful LAG player is harder than playing TAG, but it sure is hell more fun than grinding out as TAG.

joewatch
03-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Weak-tight = very low risk, small reward. Good for multi-tabling
TAG = low risk, moderate reward
LAG = high risk, high reward

All of these styles have there pros and cons. For a single tabler with the talent and experience, LAG is going to be the most profitable style. But not everyone has the temperament to play this way.

When you are starting out with a small bankroll, I think weak-tight is a good way to start. When you start having confidence in your game, go to TAG. When you have plenty of bankroll and lots of experience, try LAG.

TAG = Dan Harrington, Phil Gordon, Phil Helmuth, Bob Ciaffone, TJ Cloutier

LAG = Gus Hansen, Doyle Brunson, Phil Ivey

In recent history, the LAG players have had more success in tournaments.

If you would like to learn how to play LAG well, read Brunson's chapter in either supersystem 1 or 2.