PDA

View Full Version : Blind Play against a TAG...AQ

TheMetetron
03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Villian is a TAG, possibly a 2+2er. Seems solid so far. I don't think I particularly played this hand right, but if my hand was a bit weaker, the line may have some merit to it. Anyways, interested in any thoughts. Again, I was 8-tabling and had some other bigger hands to tend to, so it's very possible I misplayed this hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

TheMetetron
03-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Okay, I'm taking a break. I think I should've bet this flop. However, with a weaker hand like say KQ or KJ, I think this line has some merit in that I can get an Ace high hand, or even some pocket pairs to fold. The only thing I think I'm folding here that beat me is pocket pairs, maybe AK.

Anyways, I'm going to eat... maybe this discussion will be interesting and the line has merit or maybe I'm just an idiot and got happy trying something different /images/graemlins/smile.gif Either way, someone will let me know.

Oh, and obviously this line is even remotely viable against a good, thinking opponent who will put you on a big hand.

Shillx
03-06-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm taking a break. I think I should've bet this flop. However, with a weaker hand like say KQ or KJ, I think this line has some merit in that I can get an Ace high hand, or even some pocket pairs to fold. The only thing I think I'm folding here that beat me is pocket pairs, maybe AK.

Anyways, I'm going to eat... maybe this discussion will be interesting and the line has merit or maybe I'm just an idiot and got happy trying something different /images/graemlins/smile.gif Either way, someone will let me know.

Oh, and obviously this line is even remotely viable against a good, thinking opponent who will put you on a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it much at all. But if you had to use this play, it would be slightly better to use it against a 2+2er then a typical player. A typical player will not a fold a better hand in this spot, but I don't even think a good player will either. Even against a good thinking player I still like betting the flop what probably is the best hand. The odds that a good player will laydown something like 88 is doubtful imo. There are just to many ways that you could be doing a semibluff raise on this turn to make it work.

Brad

TheMetetron
03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah I don't particularly like it to much here, but it made me think that there may be certain hands against a 2+2er type where this kind of play could be the best line. Just trying to figure out what those hands are.

hmkpoker
03-06-2005, 10:29 PM
If we were to go by Miller's SSHE influence, he'd definately raise with the following: AA-TT, AKo, AKs.

He MIGHT raise, but should at least call with the following: 99 (in defense of a possible steal, but unlikey), AQs, AJs, KQs, or offsuits of those. Maybe 88, but I know I wouldn't.

He might well suspect you, another TAG, of making a position raise with little suited broadway, and 3-bet. When you cap, if he made a poor re-raise, he knew you were ahead.

My best guess: KQ or AJ. These are hands worth betting aggressively preflop, playing passively on a missed flop, worth a bluff on the turn, but in the face of a re-raise, not really worth calling down.

winky51
03-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I think your best play would be to call the preflop reraise after a few second thought and bet/raise on the flop quick. You spend the least and gain the most informtaion. If this guy is solid he is only reraising with a hand that beats you (AK or a pair). Reraising with crap out of position makes no sense. Lets say he bets the flop and you raise he calls. He checks the turn you bet he calls. Now you get a free showdown. Same 2 BB for your risky play by raising the turn. AK won't call the turn bet probably.

Just your turn raise looks very suspicious to me and it should to him. but