PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourney/Pac 10

02-08-2002, 11:58 AM
Although the NCAA hoops tourney is still a ways away, the Pac 10 will have 5-6 teams in it (Arizona, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, USC, UCLA). None of these teams have become the dominant one in the Pac 10 as they keep knocking each other off in close, hard fought games. Dont let this get you down on these teams. The games they are playing now will make them super tough come tourney time. Each time one of these teams squares off against the other, it seems they have a close,tight game. this will help, not hurt them come tourney time. Also, the top team out of the Pac 10 usually gets respect but the others that dont emerge as the leader dont (see USC from last year, which made the tourney but was didnt get much respect, then went 4-0 ATS in the tourney). Throw in the fact that the East coast media and a lot of other people think college hoops revolve aroung the East Coast teams, Duke, and Kentucky, and the "also rans" in the Pac 10 get little respect. Yet, the Pac 10 had four teams in the sweet 16 last year. Because the Pac 10 does not have one dominant team among its top 6 and the other factors I mentioned, I think you will get EV when it comes to them in the tourney. Dont let the fact that the top 6 teams in the Pac 10 seem to be playing round robin and beating each other, these games will only strengthen them come tourney time. I cant wait...Big Al.

02-08-2002, 04:35 PM
Definitely value, but I would be careful because I don't think any teams match up that well nationally. They are good, but not great teams and probably will get kicked in by some teams from other conferences. Its number one here (probably Oregon) isn't a top 10 team and I don't think away from home will be able to go too far in the dance. SC might be the best team to pick to go furthest in the show, but still wouldn't expect them to get any further than last year, if they even get to the final 8. Pac 10 in football and mens hoops has gotten itself into this situation because there are no dominant teams that own recruiting. A guy playing 10 miles from UCLA is just as likely to end up at Stanford or ASU as he is at UCLA. Everyone depends on athletes from So Cal and nearly every school gets a share of them. In the past the LA schools protected their turf a lot better, but that just isn't the case anymore.

02-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Agreed.

Cal is definitely a bubble team and if they do get in I'm not sure you'll find much value with them in the first two rounds. They play solid D but, in true Cal tradition are terribly coached on offense. Basically they play tough D and then hope that someone gets a hot hand shooting the rock.

Arizona has very high quality non-conference wins and lately is winning very tough conference road games. before this week I thought Arizona was very under rated in the national polls but lately the sporting press is starting to take notice. Because of this I'm not sure how much value you'll get come tourney time.

I havn't seen Oregon play yet but these guys, along with USC may offer the best value against the public come tourney time. I think the last time anyone east of the Mississippi had any respect for Oregon was when the Glove played there (He did play for Oregon didn't he?).

No comments on UCLA and Stanford. I'm not a Lavin fan and being as I'm a Cal alum I hope Stanford goes down in flames to the automatic bid from the Colonial Athletic Association.

02-09-2002, 02:27 PM