PDA

View Full Version : SnG bust followed by Bust follows by Bust; tips?

Prowler
03-06-2005, 06:54 PM
I was doing quite well playing low level SnG's 5+0.5 10+1 and 20+2 until recently. In three days I played 23 games and lost 20! Decimated my bankroll and couldn't figur out what was going on.

Anyway I was left with 4 dollars and I took 3 days and built it up to $120.00 playing ring games and now I'm at a bit of a loss. I entered 4 1dollar Sng's got busted out in 4th on 3 and in 9th on one.

My general strategy is to play tight and bet hard with nuts or near nuts, not fancy but I believe appropriate for this level. While I have found a number of mistakes I have made I can't seem to see what I am doing different from previously and just can't seem to hit the money.

FYI in a SnG unless the Pot Odds are phenomenal I tend to disregard them as I believe survival is more important than immediate profit. Also when I am in average or above average stack position I try to avoid all ins. As a large stack I avoid confrontation with other large stacks and beat on shorter stacks. When shortstacked I wait for a decent hand and bet it or when very short stacked I'll wait for something that may become decent and go all in.

Now I realize with all of that nobody can tell me what is wrong with my game, but any tips, guidance and suggestions, essentially a back to basics what you need to do to be successful at SnG's would be appreciated. Theories as to why I can't seem to win these would be welcome as well. Thanx.

codewarrior
03-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Concentrate on 1 buy-in level for a week or two. Play only the $10+1, say.

10 & 20 are two different games, not by much, but they are.

5 & 10 not so much.

Prowler
03-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Well I found a temporary solution. I went to a couple of websites and read the rules and theory for Omaha Hi/Lo. Then having never played it I went into 2 SnG's finished 2nd and 3rd. I think I need to either unlearn a lot of what I know about hold 'em or (much more likely) let it sink to a subconsious level so it flows with my (still developing) style. But the Omaha was a blast, had to figure out a couple of hands and see where the advantages were, but I didn't use anything but intuition and simple calculations. This also gave me a slightly better read on my opponents as I could focus on them more.

I know 2 SnG's ahs no statistical significance, I also know it may have been a fluke, but I'm feeling damn good after a night of ring games and finally winning an SnG (been a while) and had to share. Comments, flames random musings all welcome.

The Yugoslavian
03-08-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I know 2 SnG's ahs no statistical significance, I also know it may have been a fluke

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, then I won't have to mention that my Sister could win two SNGs outright from Nepal without internet access.....I'm not betting on it, but it could happen. And if it did, she'd undoubtedly post on the 2+2 SNG forum about it.

[ QUOTE ]

but I'm feeling damn good after a night of ring games and finally winning an SnG (been a while) and had to share. Comments, flames random musings all welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job feeling damn good. Happiness is very +EV IMO, and damn good generally qualifies as being happy in this regard.

Now re-read your OP and imagine all the things about it that I could probably say [here].

Yugoslav
Who's official line to the OP would be: Meh.

stripsqueez
03-08-2005, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I try to avoid all ins

[/ QUOTE ]

i think thats the problem

stripsqueez - chickenhawk