PDA

View Full Version : AK preflop

Unparagoned
03-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Alright, so here's a question from a tourney I played earlier today. I'm MP1 with a limper in front of me and I pick up AK. I raise to 4xBB (standard play for me). Now, there's a min re-raise from the SB and a call from the UTG limper. I don't have any specific reads on this hand. What is the hero's plan of action and why? What range of hands do you assign the UTG limper and the SB?

As you can see, I chose to simply call p/f, a decision I dislike. As I see it, SB almost certainly has a big pair JJ-AA, though AA and KK seem less likely (because of my AK); however, QQ and JJ really shouldn't be min-raising here, should they? I would expect either of those hands to push on me.

At the time, I just saw pot odds and told myself I'd play any A or K flop for the rest of my chips. Now, my thought is that calling is definitely the wrong play. If I get my A or K, then I am still behind (probably) the hands that dominate me and are calling anyways and I chase out the smaller pairs that might be out there. I suppose I might get AQ to pay me off if one of them is holding it, but if they've gone this far with AQ, they're probably getting the rest of their money in pre-flop with me too if I push. So, pushing guarantees me five cards to race with. Of course, if I push and get called, I see myself as a rosie 30% against their range of hands. What arguments do you guys make in favor of pushing, calling or folding?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t530)
UTG (t655)
UTG+1 (t780)
Hero (t800)
MP2 (t795)
MP3 (t870)
CO (t455)
Button (t1665)
SB (t1450)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t350</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t300, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t1100) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t1100 (All-In)</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2200

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. SB wins t2200. </font>

Unparagoned
03-07-2005, 10:45 AM
I forgot to mention that this was a $20.

Unparagoned
03-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Alright, a bump for this and if no one's interested, I'll let it go.

The Yugoslavian
03-07-2005, 04:11 PM
I think you've put in too many of your chips here preflop to not just push over the SB raise.

Yugoslav

therock
03-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Once you get a limper and $125 in the pot, I would just go ahead and push pre-flop. Raising 25% of your stack and then trying to bet anything after the flip is going to pot commit you, so just push preflop and see what happens.

whynot?
03-07-2005, 04:23 PM
think you have two choices pf

all in or fold and think its close. i'd put the raiser (given its a 20 to be aq or higher (maybe aj) or ts or higher). two hands you dominate, two your dominated and 3 your a toss up with

calling just gets you in the mess you ended up in

given its a 20 and given i didnt see a real read on the player my inclination would be to keeep on the offensive and go all in. he could still fold

Unparagoned
03-07-2005, 05:16 PM
What about UTG's cold-call? How do I factor this into my decision? It struck me at the time as a bad play pretty much regardless of his holding and consequently I am putting him on a fairly broad range of hands, though emphasizing a middlish pair.