PDA

View Full Version : How many bad cold calls can I make in one hand?

Etric
03-06-2005, 05:20 PM
UTG VPIP 77% PFR 18% PFA 1.77
UTG+1 VPIP 31% PFR 10% PFA 1.75

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls(1), <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls(2), Button folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls(3), BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets,</font> UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises, </font>UTG folds.

Final Pot: 19.75 BB

Which cold call was the worst and why(1) (2) (3)?

rmarotti
03-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I vote with 2 as you're probably dominated and only hoping for a flush or str8 at this point. 1 ain't bad (though you probably could've anticipated the continued action and found a fold there) and you have the odds to call with a BD nut flush and gutshot in 3.

Argus
03-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Your first cold call makes me cry a little. The rest are fine. You're almost certainly dominated by the preflop raiser so you should fold. Once it's capped coming back to you I think the call is easier because the pot is much much larger. Yes the limp/re-raise does suggest a frightening hand, but so does a UTG+1 raise and that didn't bother you.

THe cold call on the flop is fine. You're getting 10:1 to catch a gutshot to the nuts against action players, or a backdoor nutflush. Even considering the strong possibility that it may be capped 3 ways on the flop you'd still be getting about 6.5:1. While this is slim, the backdoor flush and implied odds mean a call is correct here.

Harv72b
03-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Another vote for CC #1. Other than that, I think you played this hand just fine.

Even #1 isn't so bad if your read on the table was that you were likely to get 2+ callers behind you.

private joker
03-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Can we talk about UTG's river fold? He's getting 20:1 and he still mucks -- you didn't even have to show this down! Fantastic. Either that guy is awesome at knowing when he's beat or he was bluffing. Seeing as how he limp reraised, which usually means either AA or 54s, I'm going to go with the latter (and his stats are pretty wild). It's possible that once UTG+1 folded, your ace-high would have been the best hand had you not drawn a flush.

Nick C
03-06-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can we talk about UTG's river fold? He's getting 20:1 and he still mucks -- you didn't even have to show this down! Fantastic. Either that guy is awesome at knowing when he's beat or he was bluffing. Seeing as how he limp reraised, which usually means either AA or 54s, I'm going to go with the latter (and his stats are pretty wild). It's possible that once UTG+1 folded, your ace-high would have been the best hand had you not drawn a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think limp-reraises mean suited broadway more often than 54s, but I enjoyed reading this anyway.

Harv72b
03-06-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think limp-reraises mean suited broadway more often than 54s, but I enjoyed reading this anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 77/18. I saw a guy with similar stats pull the limp/reraise two nights ago with 23s. On 3/6. Against two opponents. Really.

And yes, he called a river bet after pairing his 2 on the flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nick C
03-06-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 77/18. I saw a guy with similar stats pull the limp/reraise two nights ago with 23s. On 3/6. Against two opponents. Really.

And yes, he called a river bet after pairing his 2 on the flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a 77/18 guy could be limp-reraising with just about anything.

Mainly, I wanted to compliment Private Joker on his phrasing. His description of what a limp-reraise usually means is basically accurate, I think, and the way he put it made me laugh.

Harv72b
03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
It was pretty good phraseology. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Etric
03-06-2005, 09:17 PM
I went to the HH to see what he was playing and I was like "WTF?" when I say that he had folded to my raise. I thought that BB was as good as in my pocket. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I made about 40BBs at this table though, quite a bit of it from this guy raising the flop, calling the turn, and folding the river. /images/graemlins/smile.gif