PDA

View Full Version : What hands do you raise with pre-flop 10 handed???

theordinaryboy
03-06-2005, 01:03 PM
ok of course this is a very general question but i was wondering if anyone does anything but the basic raises.

I.e. AA-QQ Aks/ako Aqs/aqo

what about JJ, Ajs/Ajo, TT, KQs would you raise these in all positions. I've read a lot of cases where people just complete when in SB with Aq.

Does raising standards change when in late position i.e. more PP's

does anyone ever get funky and raise with small PP's or suited connectors???

Also what about re-raising is that confined to AA-KK maybe and maybe QQ. What about re-raising with ak to check if the original raiser has AA-KK???

all thoughts appreciated, im thinking about experimenting with my pre-flop play over the next few days to make it a little bit less predictable.

AncientPC
03-06-2005, 01:21 PM
I.e. AA-QQ Aks/ako Aqs/aqo

Yes.

what about JJ, Ajs/Ajo, TT, KQs would you raise these in all positions. I've read a lot of cases where people just complete when in SB with Aq.

Yes, except for AJs/AJo or KQs. These are raised in position.

Does raising standards change when in late position i.e. more PP's

Yes.

does anyone ever get funky and raise with small PP's or suited connectors???

Yes.

Also what about re-raising is that confined to AA-KK maybe and maybe QQ. What about re-raising with ak to check if the original raiser has AA-KK???

No.

Reraising with marginal hands pre-flop out of position will force you to make difficult decisions post-flop.

swolfe
03-06-2005, 02:10 PM
EP, including blinds -
raise - AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK
call raise - JJ/QQ/AK
re-raise - AA/KK/QQ (QQ depends on reads, etc)

MP - same as above, plus sometimes AQ

LP - definitely AQ, sometimes TT. if folded to, any pocket pair or decently high suited cards.

people will sometimes see that i raised them with J8s from LP and not realize that my standards are different when i'm UTG.

Aukai
03-06-2005, 03:29 PM
As an addendum to the OP's question, what is a standard PFR% in these games? I recently switched over from limit where raising things like KQo and AJo even in EP or MP is standard, and that clearly is not the case in NL. In limit I was 8-9%, so far in NL I'm at about 4.5%. About right, or bring it up? My postflop aggression has not changed, I'm just raise less pre, and it makes me feel all weak-tight inside. Thanks.

AncientPC
03-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Weak-tight is ok in NL, more so than limit.

In limit I'm 18/10/2 for full ring, in shorthanded NL I'm about 23/6/4. Position is a lot more important in NL, and you can't risk playing dominated hands as aggressively as in limit. Also, drawing hands lose some value because you may not be able to get decent odds to chase them.

swolfe
03-06-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As an addendum to the OP's question, what is a standard PFR% in these games? I recently switched over from limit where raising things like KQo and AJo even in EP or MP is standard, and that clearly is not the case in NL. In limit I was 8-9%, so far in NL I'm at about 4.5%. About right, or bring it up? My postflop aggression has not changed, I'm just raise less pre, and it makes me feel all weak-tight inside. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i play mostly pot limit, so my standard PF raise is the pot.

big bet poker is all about implied odds, so it's okay to see a flop cheaply and play aggressively from there. my PF% is around 5.7%. trying adding in some LP steal raises, even when you've had 1 or even 2 loose limpers.