PDA

View Full Version : Flash! QuadNines Shocks His Critics. Admits a Mistake!

09-21-2002, 02:39 AM
In his current thread on RGP QuadNines starts right out with the line, "'Tool' was a poor word choice on my part, and it muddied the issue. My mistake, and I'm sorry."

We were stunned to see this, absolutely stunned!

Well okay, he was obviously just reacting to his critics' (in a 9/16 thread on the General Theory forum in which Quaddy made a guest appearance) recent complaints that he never admits his errors. And yes, he only admitted to a poor word choice, certainly not to anything significant. And okay, this very "admission" did provide him with a way to try to back-pedal, though without much success, out of the corner his new "General Theory of Poker" (heh) had gotten him into.

Oh alright, we weren't stunned! In truth we weren't surprised at all, except at the transparency of the attempt. Had to chuckle at that. <chuckle>

What went beyond amusing to kinda bizarre /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif was how he apologized for the "tool" analogy, then immediately launched into a kind of obsessed treatise on tools and how they operate via lever principles and how a carpenter could learn about that to deepen his understanding of his tools and then in so doing become a surgical tool designer, and thereby make a million bucks a year, and on and on about tools, tools, tools... That's some weird [censored], bro. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

We really have to cut him some slack though. He seemed to be trying his hand at a little creative writing, something he's never risked before. You see, Quaddy, or Mark as his friends know him, has always been terribly averse to taking risks in his posts. Wouldn't want to be proven wrong about anything, ya know? But just when we thought you couldn't get a greased BB up his bu - Oops, /forums/images/icons/blush.gif well, you know - Just then, he comes with the creative writing. And even though we suspect this too was a reaction to his critics saying he's dry and uncreative, ya gotta give him effort points. Sadly though, it failed the Turing Test as badly as his usual stuff. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

But we want to applaud him for trying. You go Mark! You make up some more stories, fess up to some more "errors", maybe even working your way up to errors without the quotes. It won't be long before you'll shed your image of feigned infallibility and come down to play with the rest of us mortals. ...And Toto too!

Oh, fwiw here's the link: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author:quadnines&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=99fd5b1.0209201626.ca9f402%40post ing.google.com&rnum=1

09-21-2002, 02:43 AM

Ryan_21
09-21-2002, 11:10 AM
But that guy is a freakin wackjob. I didnt read the whole article only about 2 paragraphs. Thats all I've ever been able to read in a Glover post. But the 2 paragraphs were pretty freakin stupid/funny.lol.

Ryan_21

09-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Why are his posts always the same thing? Has he ever commented on a hand someone posted, or asked a question, or put up a post about a recent movie or anything?

09-24-2002, 07:58 PM
I like to follow his posts because he seems an odd character. True, he's sort of a "one trick pony" (or maybe a couple of tricks...). No, he doesn't post questions. Sure, he'll ask for comments at the end of his posts, but basically his posts are assertions that he plans to defend (and defend...).

But I have to say that post about a "General Theory of Poker" turned out to be something new from him. It's the first time (AFAIK) that he really risked putting out a new idea. I think he's listening to his critics. Well he was listening to them in a silly way with his admission of the word choice thing. That was just a silly "see I DO admit my mistakes! Nah, nah, nah!!" But he still ought to get some credit for his first attempt at an original idea.

Now I happen to think he was wrong about his "General Theory." As others mentioned, if making the best EV decisions is the general theory of poker, then the same theory is shared by blackjack, other +EV gambles, and even just selling donuts. His "theory" doesn't say anything distinctive about poker. That is its problem.

But he did risk something there, and I really was surprised to see it. I think he really heard his critics. I doubt he's listening because he thinks their criticisms have merit. Looks more like he just wants to prove them wrong. But so what? The result is (maybe?) that he's coming around and posting a little more reasonably. In fact his last couple of rgp threads have been less weird, less sarcastic, less pompous and attacking. Now, I'm sure he's on his best behavior on rgp (trying to make friends since getting kicked out here) but these last couple of threads (maybe not the tool story/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif) do seem like a change for him. They don't give the same twisted comic relief that some seem to like, and who knows how long it will last. But I say congratulate him and hope he's stays more constructive.