PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods - Draws are Death?!?

iash
03-06-2005, 12:29 PM
1/2 No limit tables at Foxwoods Friday night/Sat AM. Any comments on my line of thinking would be appreciated. No particular reads on villian, although I've seen him make some peculiar calls/laydowns. Below average player.

I'm in position on the Villian (maybe even on the button, don't remember.) Villian has about the same sized stack as me ($600ish). 3 players limp, Unimportant player raises to $15. Villian calls.
I call with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif All others fold. 3 players, pot size approx $50.

Flop comes 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Unimportant player checks. Villian bets $30. I have the nut flush draw, and two overcards. I decide to re-raise to $80 (total) because other players: a) will most likely fold a variety of hands they could be betting with such as top pair, baby flush, maybe even a high pocket pair. b) If I get a call, I may also get checked to on the turn. How they react to my raise will also give me a better read on their hands.

Anyway, he calls, next card is a blank. He checks, I check and take the free card. Last card is another blank, he bets $75 and I fold with a quickness.

Comments?

Whenever I encounter hands like this with draws to the nuts (sometimes I'll have the nut flush draw and two suited cards in my hand) i'm never quite sure how to play them. I realize it's totally situational, but any general advice on these types of hands?

iash

ryanghall
03-06-2005, 12:43 PM
The preflop call is horrible, in my opinion. Do you really want to call a 7.5x BB raise w/ AQo?

Other than that, the hand looks quite good.

Ryan

joewatch
03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Yes, what Ryan said. Good semibluff on the flop with 2 over and nutflush draw. Take the free card on the turn. Fold the river with you missed draw. But calling a PFR with AQo is negative EV.

MyMindIsGoing
03-06-2005, 03:56 PM
I do not like the call preflop. But once on the flop I would raise alot more to scare villian away. You are making it pretty cheap for him to call on the flop. There is $160 in the pot after your raise and he has to call $50 only. I think he has like JJ and figures you have the ace of diamonds.

iash
03-06-2005, 04:50 PM
I agree my preflop call was questionable, although the table was very loose, and a $10-$13 preflop raise was pretty standard at this table, so given these facts & the fact I was on the button, that's why I called.

The Villian most likely had JJ or QQ and another bet on the turn possibly could have scared him away. After my flop raise (which should have been bigger) however, I wasn't putting another dollar into the pot unless another diamond hit.

lawpoker
03-06-2005, 04:58 PM
was the villian really going to pay off if that 4th diamond hit?

bobbyi
03-06-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Villian most likely had JJ or QQ and another bet on the turn possibly could have scared him away.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you thought he could lay down an overpair here, I think you should have fired another barrel on the turn. Note that if he calls with JJ, you have a ton of outs against that anyway.

iash
03-06-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was the villian really going to pay off if that 4th diamond hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a wired pair with a diamond in his hand, yes.

If he has a small/medium flush, maybe.

In the less likely event that he has two pair or trips, maybe.