PDA

View Full Version : RIVER DECISION - BET OR NOT?

CJC
09-21-2002, 02:13 AM
Hello Again All,

Been playing in some wonderful 5-10 games at Mohegan for the last few weeks. Lots of action.. Anywhoo..

This hand we will talk about concerns myself and a new opponent who had just entered the game.

He was high on board throughout the hand and bet on every street.. EXCEPT the river. He checked to me..

Here are the boards..

OPPONENT -- A-Q-10-8 --all diamonds
ME -- K-Q-J-9- --all spades

I actually have an Ace-High straight made..

Since my opponent checked.. Do I want to bet?

CJ

results tommorow...

Dynasty
09-21-2002, 02:32 AM
Bet. He will call with many hands which cannot beat a straight. Most players won't check an Ace-high flush.

09-21-2002, 02:41 PM
Check. Many low limit opponents with an A-Q flush looking at a four flush with a king calling them will check/call fearing an A-K flush. (I assume As had not shown).

09-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Since he was betting early with the ace and queen, maybe you could put him on two big pair. MANY low limit players would bet that all the way and check the river. If that's your read, bet -- it's worth it as you will almost certainly not get checkraised (unless he made a miracle aces full on the river).

09-21-2002, 05:42 PM
into his possible flush. U look real scary with your Str8-flush possibility!
His "A" high flush has U beat!

Sitting Bull

Andy B
09-22-2002, 12:38 AM
Bet. If he had a flush, he should have bet. If he did have you beat, he probably wouldn't go for a check-raise, because he would be afraid that you would check behind because of his scary board. He should call with many hands that your straight beats.

09-22-2002, 03:17 PM
This is almost certainly a spot where you should check. Your opponent, if at all skillful, will often not bet here with a flush. The same is true if they are timid, or fearul of you.
Opponent will have a very hard time calling with a worse hand than a broadway straight, so I don't think you have much to gain. You may get him to fold this hand for half the pot, but this is not that likely or lucrative since he may be checking a flush.

Dynasty
09-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Your opponent, if at all skillful, will often not bet here with a flush.

That's nuts. His opponent should always bet with an Ace-high flush. If you don't bet the river in that situation, you are just leaving chips on the table.

Opponent will have a very hard time calling with a worse hand than a broadway straight, so I don't think you have much to gain.

This is also wrong. Calling with two-pair should be your standard play. You would only fold if you have a very reliable read on your opponent.

09-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Thank you Dynasty. This is very helpful.

I should always bet the river even though it is obvious I have a flush? Granted, sometimes it is not obvious, and to some opponents, nothing is obvious, so I should bet sometimes, yes. But sometimes it is completely obvious, and we are "betting in to the wind".

Opponent should call with 2 pair when showing 4 to a straight flush and still bet at? Ditto for A high 4 flush?

I guess having all these little rules memorized eliminates the need to learn hand reading. Has it not?

CJC
09-25-2002, 12:16 AM
Hello Again,

I see we have some differing opinions here.

I must say, that in most circumstances that I agree with Dynasty. Most opponents wouldn't NOT bet an Ace High flush.

My dilema here was the fact that this opponent just joined the game so I had no read on him whatsoever.

I checked the hand down on the river.
We both had Ace high straights and chopped the pot.

In most instances I would have bet though. And in retrospect I should have bet this time, even not knowing the opponent.

CJ