PDA

View Full Version : $33 + 3 multi late stage flop decision - help needed

ThomB
03-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Late in $33 + 3 pot limit on party,120 started 20 get paid and 30 left.I'm looking to make the final table. Haven't had many decent hands throughout the tourny and have an average stack with 30 left. No reads as table has just formed.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t3313)
MP2 (t2665)
CO (t3155)
Button (t6580)
SB (t1995)
BB /images/graemlins/frown.gifVillain)/ (t4685)
UTG (t4174)
Hero (t3485)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls t300.

Flop: (t1100) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t900</font>,

Should I be checking this flop through hoping to hit my draw, I would normally bet this flop but if I get called or check raised I'm goin to be left with just over a 10 x bb stack with the blinds about to raise...

<font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t1800</font>,

Easy fold? Or should I be putting rest of my stack in hoping to hit my draw/overcard, bearing in mind I'm looking to make the final table.

Thanks results to follow

BobbyTheG
03-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Interesting hand Thom and a situation that comes up a lot. It's always a tough decision when you've preflop raised, get a blind caller and don't hit your flop.

My thoughts:

1) I don't like the UTG raise here with KJ. Just too many players behind you and you can't take any heat at all on a reraise. I can slip into a rut where I'm too tight, so maybe someone will disagree, but I just don't think it's strong enough of a hand to raise with UTG. I would like this as late as C0+2. You also don't have any kind of read yet, so I'd get away from this until I had a better feel for the table. I think just it's just too weak here. Regardless, it was folded around so it didn't hurt you, but just a thought.

2) I wouldn't have led at a coordiated/broadway board here. He called your raise so you assume he has something and there are lots and lots and lots of hands he could hurt you with. Also, if you hit your overcard, you'd be in real danger of him having two pair (KQ, KT, QT) Another problem is that any of your outs with a spade on it is tainted. Lots of guys in these tourneys will play draws very aggressively, so you could hit your hand but lose to a flush.

I think you got in a little trouble by playing a little too weak hand from UTG. You also said you had no read on anybody yet, so I would've not played this. You did, but I would've then played the flop softly. This kind of board is dangerous in that there are two cards in the playing zone (Q T), a two-flush, and a straight. I would like your lead out a lot more on a garbage flop like Q82 rainbow.

To answer your other question, I think this is clearly a fold the way you played it.

I'm working on this late tourney play game lately myself, so I'm still developing my philosophy, but this would be how I would think about this hand.

Good luck to you!

Jax_Grinder
03-06-2005, 05:50 PM
I agree with Bobby that you have to fold this and that it was a questionable play to put in a small raise UTG +1 at a fresh table. Maybe some insight into what your goal was with the raise might help with pinpointing how you got stuck here.

If your goal is to make the final table then this is an incredibly easy fold. The hands that Villan is going to defend his blind with for a 2.7-1 preflop call here include a whole host of hands J9s and up. With T2000 left in front of you and the blinds at 100/200, you will almost certainly end up in a better spot than this to risk your whole stack.

Winning this hand 10 off the money (when your in hand-to-hand and plenty of remaining chances to steal) is not going to make or break that goal, while losing ...

You haven't posted the results, but I am going to take a stab that the guy was holding two pair or better on the flop.