PDA

View Full Version : 25/50 - Why you don't slowplay trips..

Blackjack
03-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $50 BB (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($6213.50)
BB ($2514)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, BB calls $50.

Flop: ($200) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($200) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $500</font>, Hero calls $300.

River: ($1200) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $600</font>, Hero calls $600.

Final Pot: $2400

Who likes the play? There's gotta be someone. I can't just go straight betting into this flop can I?

I was actually really dissapointed in myself for not raising the river and getting the rest of his chips. Luckily, he went on tilt and I was able to get the rest w/ his stupid play.

Relentless
03-06-2005, 07:57 AM
There's a lot of draws out there, I would bet out from the get go.

Yeti
03-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Um, why exactly didn't you set him allin on the river?

KaneKungFu123
03-06-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, why exactly didn't you set him allin on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

Yeti
03-06-2005, 08:58 AM
I have no idea what your 'humorous' posts are supposed to mean.

It's possibly the best river card in the deck..

TreyOfLight
03-06-2005, 09:10 AM
You tried very hard to lose a lot of money here and barely failed. Maybe next time.

Blackjack
03-06-2005, 09:21 AM
*shrug*

I said beforehand the play wasn't spectacular but a 6c gives him the straight flush (however unlikely). I'd just been running really poorly today. Guess it's a lesson to not play over your head because you won't be able to maximize your ev in the most favorable of circumstances if you are playing scared.

He ended up showing 77 but still - it just added to the pain I felt today. It was ridiculous.. lost a $3000 pot with TTT22 to KKK22.

I thought some people would agree with the river call because there are some hands that you could be behind... but that really is the best card in most cases.

buddha
03-06-2005, 12:13 PM
He showed pocket 77 and beat you, or had a pair of sevens and you won??

kagame
03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
he won

kagame
03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
...against all odds lol

TreyOfLight
03-07-2005, 08:03 AM
From the OP's closing comment, I got the impression that you won and your opponent held the case 4 with a better kicker. Not that that matters.

The call on the river is debatable; the decisions before it, less so.

Preflop: Minraising does nothing but assure you'll be playing a raised pot while holding trash. A call is just fine. This is your single most expensive mistake of the hand, because it doubles the price of every mistake that follows.

Flop: Bet. The board is draw-friendly and you have no idea where villain is at. There's no hand you beat that he'll fold now but call with later.

Turn: This bet is too big. The one hand that you want to fold, a one-club flush draw, is getting zero implied odds and will fold to much less (maybe K4 will fold here? It's a tossup). The overbet lets hands like 78 off the hook too easily and bloats the pot for hands that beat you.

You don't give a read on villain, but he's played passively so far. When he raises your pot-sized bet on a paired, three-flush board, that's a good time to consider folding yourself.

River: See above. Bad decisions early lead to tough decisions later.

theben
03-07-2005, 05:22 PM
why did you minraise preflop? thats a waste of time. either bring it in for at leats 3x, limp, or fold.

on the flop, you need to bet and charge him to draw. if you bet on the flop, it may also look like you are stealing against rags and he might raise/call you with much worse hands.

you chose the worst time to bet. if you were against a draw, it was just made. questionable call of the reraise.

on the river, you should have reraised for value. if the full gets beaten, then it gets beaten and you go broke.

exeph
03-07-2005, 05:42 PM
After reading a somewhat tongue in cheek post by Matt Flynn re: the min-raise, I decided to try it out a bit for fun. Min-raising frequently can have some interesting effects on the rest of the table (people tend to get tilty quickly), which is nice. Another nice aspect of the min-raise when in position shorthanded is that even if your opponent treats it as a limp (they don't) it means you will be playing larger pots on average when you have the positional advantage.