PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on hand from a home game

jcbruin
03-06-2005, 07:10 AM
I was wondering what you guys thought of my call on a hand from a home game tonight. We were 4-handed, and I had about 6000 chips out of the 12000 chips on the table, and blinds were at 100/200. With AQ UTG, I raised it to 800, and the guy in the BB has about 1800 chips before posting the big blind. I wasn't too surprised that he called because he's willing to gamble, and is overagressive after the flop. I don't think I've ever seen him fold to a raise that wasn't an all-in.

Anyways, the flop comes J85, all hearts. I don't have a heart in my hand, and he moves all-in for about 1000 chips (there's 1700 chips in the pot). Before the flop, I had a feeling he'd probably move all-in regardless of what came, and so had decided I would call. He actually had 57 with the 7 being a heart, so I was way behind, but a black ace came on the river and he was out.

So I've been thinking this hand through to myself and was wondering what you guys thought. If he has a pair but no heart, I'm getting 2.7:1 to call, so its not a horrible situation and I still have a good amount of chips even if I lose the hand. But chances are the flop didn't hit him, and his moving all-in really gives me no extra information, since I thought he would move all-in on any flop.

zac777
03-07-2005, 11:25 PM
If you think that he'll call PF and push with any two, then this is an easy call, considering that you might be ahead and he might not have a heart.

According to some quick calculations, there's a 62% (37/47 * 36/46) chance he doesn't have a heart and a 65% (38/47 * 37/46) chance that he doesn't have a pair. You could work out the rest of the percentages, but you probably don't need them. I think your first reaction was correct. You're getting good odds and he'd probably push with anything, so call.