PDA

View Full Version : Paul Phillips v. Phil Hellmuth

slickpoppa
03-06-2005, 03:45 AM
After all of the smack that Phillips has talked about Hellmuth, I think it would be really hilarious if Phillips loses.

TStoneMBD
03-06-2005, 04:03 AM
i think paul phillips will agree entirely that a short term outcome based on a majority of luck does not prove anything. its quite clear that as poker players, we are dedicated to long term EV, so whether PP loses to PH or not in this one session does not change my opinion of either player in the slightest. yes, i am in the camp that says PP is better than PH, but that is only because i believe that PH is quite bad. i respect PP's play, but not quite as much as he respects himself.

InfernoLL
03-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Actually, Paul Phillips believes himself to be a horrible heads up player, so I'm sure he expects to lose, even against Hellmuth. Don't know how he's going to explain winning the first round though.

slickpoppa
03-06-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think paul phillips will agree entirely that a short term outcome based on a majority of luck does not prove anything. its quite clear that as poker players, we are dedicated to long term EV, so whether PP loses to PH or not in this one session does not change my opinion of either player in the slightest. yes, i am in the camp that says PP is better than PH, but that is only because i believe that PH is quite bad. i respect PP's play, but not quite as much as he respects himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

i completely agree with you that the results would prove nothing (see my post in the ivey v. sklansky thread). I just think it would be funny if phillips loses.

sirio11
03-06-2005, 04:10 AM
A bad player with 9 bracelets?

Jesus, who are these people?

The T.A.
03-06-2005, 04:17 AM
It's the feature table, too, so this match-up should get substantial TV time.

Paul Phillips is also looking a lot like a homeless guy. Someone give this man a bar of soap!

Army Eye
03-06-2005, 05:20 AM
Hellmuth 'quite bad'. lmao. If there was ever a case of an opinion being flat out WRONG, this is it.

slickpoppa
03-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Hellmuth wins:

Short-stacked, Paul Phillips goes all in with A-8, and Phil Hellmuth calls with J-5, asking for a little "Motown" on the flop. The flop comes J-9-8, giving both players a pair, but putting Hellmuth in the lead. The last two cards come 6-K, and Paul Phillips is eliminated. Phil Hellmuth advances to Round 3, where he will face Huck Seed. (Paul Phillips says he will loan Huck Seed his Phil Hellmuth jersey if he'd like to wear it.)

Yeknom58
03-06-2005, 06:08 AM
I would have loved to see this entire match. With the fake smiles...underlying hatred.....I would have paid for a bad beat on phil...that would have been a rant to end all rants.

Malagant
03-06-2005, 08:33 AM
If Phil wins another 9 bracelets he will still be considered "rather bad" of a player to the majority of the 2+2 posters.
Everybbody is entitled to their opinion tho, but I must admit Im somewhat curious to where all this helmuth hate come from.

MyMindIsGoing
03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a link to some website with results?

AngryCola
03-06-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Everybbody is entitled to their opinion tho, but I must admit Im somewhat curious to where all this helmuth hate come from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would call it hate.
It's more like a strong lack of respect that's completely justified.

TStoneMBD
03-06-2005, 11:55 AM
maybe my comment was a little politicaly incorrect. i suppose that when i am making bold statements about a players abilities i should be careful which words i choose. first, hellmuth is not a bad player. he certainly has a positive long term expectancy. he will continue to do moderately well in tournaments, and will win quite a few more rings before he retires. maybe my politically correct view on his skill level is that he is vastly overated on these forums, and i use the word "bad" to contrast the conformed belief that he is "excellent."

West
03-06-2005, 12:06 PM
cardplayer.com has a live update link on the main page

daryn
03-06-2005, 01:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would call it hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious or joking? i fail to see how the lack of respect is completely justified.

jakethebake
03-06-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A bad player with 9 bracelets? Jesus, who are these people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously someone with more than 9 bracelets. Oh. Wait... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AngryCola
03-06-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

are you serious or joking? i fail to see how the lack of respect is completely justified.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it is justified, but it's a result of the combination of his bad qualities rather than anything specific. I don't like his often times weak play and advice. Perhaps it's his constant whining and drama queen attitude that gets to me the most. It's hard to respect anyone who acts like that, and whether or not it's an act is not important to me.

Another thing I don't like about Phil is the way he looks with his shirt off.

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Don't get me wrong, he has been a very successful player.
But that fact alone doesn't outweigh his bad qualities in my mind. Maybe these aren't good enough reasons to not "repsect" someone, but they're enough for me.

Daliman
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have loved to see this entire match. With the fake smiles...underlying hatred.....I would have paid for a bad beat on phil...that would have been a rant to end all rants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong here, but I don;t think PP hates PH, or vice-versa. I think it's more like PP thinks PH is kind of a tool and is overrated, and likes to bust his balls, and PH looks at PP like he doesn't much matter, which puts him with most everybody in PH's eyes.

willie
03-06-2005, 08:56 PM
phillips looks like an unclean mike caro in the pictures.....

you'd never know the guy was a billionaire lookin at him there

--good to see phil take it down.

like him or not you have to respect him- he's a pretty damn good player once you get through the attitude and ego.

jcmack13
03-06-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's more like PP thinks PH is kind of a tool and is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth is simultaneously the most overrated and underrated player in poker.

Aceshigh7
03-06-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

like him or not you have to respect him- he's a pretty damn good player once you get through the attitude and ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it was probably a mistype on your part, but just wanted to point out Paul Phillips isn't a billionaire.

Doesn't really matter I guess since he's still really rich.

Daliman
03-06-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe PP is a billionaire.

Daliman
03-06-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's more like PP thinks PH is kind of a tool and is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth is simultaneously the most overrated and underrated player in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly the most true statement I've seen on here in awhile.

Daliman
03-06-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong here, but I don;t think PP hates PH, or vice-versa. I think it's more like PP thinks PH is kind of a tool and is overrated, and likes to bust his balls, and PH looks at PP like he doesn't much matter, which puts him with most everybody in PH's eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addendum, does this (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_photos/20050304-144-001/large/20050304-144-010.jpg) look like two people who hate each other to you?

speedrissr
03-06-2005, 11:27 PM
The plastic handout bag combined with the "Living under a bridge" beard make the picture.

Paul Phillips gets it.

RLR

Rushmore
03-07-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The plastic handout bag combined with the "Living under a bridge" beard make the picture.

Paul Phillips gets it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gets WHAT?!

Methadone every morning?
Food stamps?
Regular tuberculosis screening?
3-6 mos. for vagrancy?
Delousing?
An efficiency apartment with Ellix Powers?

To be honest, I don't give a sh*t what Paul Phillips decides to look like.

What makes me puke is some guy falling all over himself proclaiming himself "in" on the schtick.

So, then. He "gets it?" What does he get? Obviously, you must know, or you wouldn't be aware of its having been "got." Enlighten us, please.

Punker
03-07-2005, 01:52 AM
So thats what happened to the lead singer of the Spin Doctors.

miajag81
03-07-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, nice

Daliman
03-07-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

The T.A.
03-07-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Paul Phillips gets it.

RLR

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for this enlightened response. Starting tommorrow, I will also grow a beard, and stop showering.

It should give me the edge I need over other world class players.