PDA

View Full Version : 99 turn play for free river good bad?

imported_stealthcow
03-06-2005, 02:16 AM
all right, so 2 big midterms at university postponed my bonuswhoring to now where i've tried to play roughly 1500 hands today.

anyways, the following hand came up. i think if it wasn't 1am, i would've folded it on the flop but how does it look otherwise? after the turn call i realized i was probably up against a higher pocket pair. so i raised to

a) get a cheap river
b) charge overcards if my read is off

is this line good bad or extremely ugly?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

stealthcow-

Guruman
03-06-2005, 03:01 AM
yup, I'd fold that pre-flop for sure. Cold calling a raise with a low pair can get dicey quick.

Then, I'd fold it again on the flop. You cold-called yet another raise and then called down a 3-bet after the fact with a pair on the board. You could be going up against an eight, overpairs, or overcards. You're leading overcards, but are still very vulnerable to them since anyone spiking a J with his AJo has you beat by counterfeiting your two pair.

Calling is therefore the worst move you could make here since you arent knocking overcards out and are flat behind many of the other cards that could be playing at this point. The flop is clearly either raise or fold.

The turn gives you a re-draw to a straight but also puts three to a flush on the board. I'd consider myself lucky not to get check-raised after betting here. I'd guess that these players are not going to give up on the hand at this point for one bet, so maybe taking the free river is preferable to seeing a free showdown here. You've still got four outs to a boat and eight more to a straight (though the fives may make a straight that will only split the pot)

I'd say that checking through the river here is fine.

This is probably a prime example of how calling a raise pre-flop with marginal cards can get you into trouble because you are then tempted to take shots to try and win against a very scary board.

Harv72b
03-06-2005, 03:14 AM
A lot depends on your reads of your opponents in this hand, if any.

Preflop, there's no way I'm folding 99 after a raise &amp; a cold call, especially not on the button. If it weren't for MP1 calling the raise cold I'd want to 3-bet, but I like just calling here...

The flop is where it gets tricky. UTG+1 is going to bet out, because 90% of Party 3/6'ers will bet any flop after a PFR. So his bet means nothing at this point. MP1's raise also means nothing, as a decent player is going to raise this flop with any pair (and if he didn't 3-bet preflop, his pair is probably smaller than yours). So in my mind, the question is whether or not you call 2 again, or 3-bet it. I like the call, as that gives you a chance to see what UTG+1 does (he probably won't cap if you 3-bet, even with AA, fearing that you did something kooky like play 89s).

When UTG+1 3-bets, that's trouble...at least, it is if you have a read on the player. For an unknown, I'll go ahead &amp; assume that he's not 3-betting with A high, which almost certainly means a better pocket pair than yours. That's when I start to dislike your bet on the Turn...you're probably not going to show down a winner unimproved, but assuming that you aren't up against a flush (and everyone has played this hand like they have pockets, making a flush very unlikely) or a made boat, you've picked up a bunch of outs with the OESD. I'd want to just check through...if you don't hit on the river, fold to an UTG+1 bet, if you do hit on the river, jam that pot!

chief444
03-06-2005, 03:26 AM
I think it's perfect, provided you didn't intend to put any more bets in.