PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck or Bad Play, 2-pair w/ 4str8 on board

tipperdog
03-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Party $55 LIMIT tourney. Blinds are 100/200 (Limits 200/400). I'm just about average stacked with T3,500. Approx 500 entrants, now down to 150 with 50 paid. I was moved to this table recently, and the BB (chip leader with T6,800) hasn't yet played a hand).

Two loose limpers to me and I raise with AJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the cutoff. The BB and limpers call. The flop comes 9TJ, with one spade. BB bets, 1 caller, I raise and BB 3-bets. The limper folds and I call (now 8BB in the pot). The river is the K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif completing the rainbow, but making a straight for any Q.

The BB leads out and I call, figuring I'm probably behind. The river is the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, giving me 2-pair which could beat a hand like JT, but is obviously useless against a straight. The BB (who had been leading the entire way), now checks. I bet for value and he check-raises. I figure I'm beat, but with such a big pot, I decide to call. He shows KQ, the flopped nut straight.

How would you have played this hand, particularly on the river?

Spladle Master
03-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Raise pre-flop.

Call the flop.

Fold the turn.

Check the river.

Fold to the check-raise.

Bad play, good luck. Good luck because the turn should've let you get away from your hand cheaply in a situation where you would definitely have called down after blanks hit the turn and river.

I love this quote, "The BB leads out and I call, figuring I'm probably behind."

Sorry, but you played this hand like a total fish.

adanthar
03-06-2005, 04:19 AM
The BB's betting out into 3 people on a JT9 board should be a good sign of your AJ being a deathtrap of a hand.

Like SpladleMaster says, fold the turn, check the river. On the off chance he only had a Q he hit, so why waste your time calling the turn?