PDA

View Full Version : miller question on raises

tomcain
03-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Hello

I generally play 1/2 or 2/4. I have been playing miller SSH since it came out. I have read it several times. There is one thing I have a question about. Let's take pocket 99 as an example. Miller says to raise. Does that still apply if people have limped in front of you or is it supposed to be only if you are the first one in?

I have been playing it to raise from any position but my PT stats tell me that is only a marginally profitable bet. 0.17bb per hand. So I wondered if I was misinterpreting it and putting too much money in.

TIA, Tom

MattC
03-06-2005, 12:37 AM
limp up front but after you start getting to mp start raising.

you either want to play heads up or with a lot of people.

also if your on or near the button and a lot of people limped in raise it there too.

Bob T.
03-06-2005, 12:59 AM
I usually raise if I am first in. If it looks like it is going to be a multiway pot, then I am more likely to limp, and try and get the best odds on hitting a set.

0.17bb per hand

Your sample size is probably too small to begin to figure out how much you actually make with any one hand. So at the very least, look at groups of hands, and then try and figure out how you are doing. If for example, it looks like Ts, 9s, 8s, and 7s, are making less than you do with 6s, 5s, and 4s. Then maybe you should play those medium pairs more like the small ones. But if you are making more with the medium pairs, then you are doing ok with them, even if pocket 9s are lagging.

PokerBob
03-06-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello

I generally play 1/2 or 2/4. I have been playing miller SSH since it came out. I have read it several times. There is one thing I have a question about. Let's take pocket 99 as an example. Miller says to raise. Does that still apply if people have limped in front of you or is it supposed to be only if you are the first one in?

I have been playing it to raise from any position but my PT stats tell me that is only a marginally profitable bet. 0.17bb per hand. So I wondered if I was misinterpreting it and putting too much money in.

TIA, Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is your sample size? I raise this from any position at those limits. It is a strong holding that often may win unimproved, and can win large pots when it flops a set. That said, you need to use caution when playing it against a raise.

tomcain
03-06-2005, 01:29 AM
All good answers and I generally agree, but nobody addressed the real question. Do you still raise this, if there are 1-2 limpers ahead of you.

My sample size is 20K hands, with 99 showing 100 times.

rmarotti
03-06-2005, 01:34 AM
20K is still a small sample and there is no cut and dried answer to your "real question."

Bob T.
03-06-2005, 02:56 AM
All good answers and I generally agree, but nobody addressed the real question. Do you still raise this, if there are 1-2 limpers ahead of you.

How well do the limpers play and how loose are the players still left to act? Think about how those two factors are going to affect your play, and then not only will you know how to play this hand, but you will start to understand how other hands change value based on your seat as well as your position at the table.

My sample size is 20K hands, with 99 showing 100 times.

You should have flopped about a dozen sets in that time, if you played every 99. If you were a couple short, or a couple of extra sets got cracked, it could easily explain your shortfall. This sample is way way too small to really determine how well you play one hand.

Harv72b
03-06-2005, 02:59 AM
I raise 99 first in, period. UTG or SB, doesn't matter. Even if my raise just convinces one player to fold his T8s, that could be the difference between me winning the hand & losing.

I'll raise behind 1 limper the vast majority of the time, with the exception being when I'm on a table where I know a raise won't dissuade anyone from calling behind me.

I'll raise behind 2-3 limpers if:
A) These players are extremely loose, and may be playing any two cards
and/or
B) These players are extremely weak postflop, and my raise is likely to buy me folding equity.
and
C) Raising is likely to buy me the button and/or knock out the blinds.

Behind more than 3 limpers, I'll limp & play for the set/overpair.