PDA

View Full Version : TP free roll hand, need help here....

pokerrookie
03-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Allright, heres some history...I am terrible at NL freeroll tourneys. No idea why, but I usually lose within the first 30 minutes.

Not so tonight. I am sitting in 14th with 28 players left. Already clinched $50 prize, and the next prize level is not until 7th place. BTW, this would be my best finish anyway, but the following hand has me perplexed.

Hero is UTG with Kc,Kd and 13,200 in chips
SB posts small blind 375
BB posts big blind 750
Hero raises 1500
UTG+1 folds
UTG+2 raises 2250
MP goes all in for 601
MP+1 raises all in for 17046
4 folds
Hero???

No real reads on the players, but all are relatively solid, or at least playing that way tonight. They have all beaten 400 people tonight, so I assume solid play.

If I win this hand, I probably move into top 4 or 5. If I lose, it is my best finish ever. With this many players in, is this one of those situations where even though I may have a slight preflop edge, I should fold to ensure I have another situation where my edge is greater? Or, since it might guarantee me bigger money, do I make my move?

I appreciate any comments...I really do want to do better in these freerolls, as I feel I am just pissing money away by not doing better.

Thanks in advance.

DemonDeac
03-06-2005, 01:05 AM
calls??
with no reads, you cant lay this down

Rednax
03-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Given the prize structure, and assuming that you'd like to get into the top seven and yet would be happy with the $50 and your best finish ever, I would say you've got to go for it. You're right to question whether you'll get a better edge later, but I don't think you will.

I really like these situations, because it often seems as if you're going up against other pocket pairs (which you dominate except for the Aces), or other high cards which hopefully counterfeit each other. If you're up against AK and AQ and AJ and QQ then no one has many outs.

adanthar
03-06-2005, 02:04 AM
Freeroll + KK = call

actually, scratch that: KK, big pot, top heavy payouts and no read = call

actually, 97.8% of the time, KK = call

pokerrookie
03-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the help. I appreciate you guys telling me I made the right decision to call.

I was ahead preflop with Villain having QQ, 66 and AK also shown down against my KK.

The flop wasn't so pretty though as Villain caught not one but two Queens. So my pair ended up losing to quad Qs. Talk about overkill.