PDA

View Full Version : AKs - In need of a skirt, or rightfully cautious?

JTG51
09-20-2002, 02:52 PM
I don't know my opponents in this hand.

UTG limps, I raise from MP with AcKc. Folded to the button who 3 bets. BB calls, UTG calls, I call. Would anyone cap it here?

Flop: 9d 5h 9s

BB checks, UTG checks, I check, Button checks.

Whenever someone 3 bets preflop then checks behind on the flop, I get suspicious.

Turn: [9d 5h 9s] Kh

BB bets, UTG calls. Who raises here? For some reason, I didn't. I just called like a sissy. Button folded. I guess he was just kidding about that 3 bet.

River: [9d 5h 9s Kh] 8d

BB bets, UTG calls. How about a raise here? Nope, I called.

Thoughts?

Results later.

Jim Brier
09-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Preflop, I would not cap it because I am out of position relative to the 3-bettor. The under-the-gun player's call of a double raise back to him means he is probably a bad player. If his hand was not good enough to raise with initially, how can he call a double raise back to him?

On the flop, I would check to the button 3-bettor as you did. I would call with my overcards because of the fantastic pot odds I am now getting.

On the turn, I would raise although I am fearful that the blind may have been slow-playing trip nines. But raising is important because the pot is large, your hand may be best, and you want to put pressure on the remaining players to fold.

Having declined to raise the turn bet, I would simply call at the river and hope my hand is best. A raise will not accomplish much at this point. I agree that it looks like the button was fooling around preflop with a speculative hand. Maybe he was stuck, trying to pump the pot while hoping to catch a good flop.

prd_mnky
09-20-2002, 03:56 PM
I would simply call the 3-bet dur to positioning.

Check/call flop for your overcards.

Raise the flop. If BB re-raises, then releasing your hand will be the best play.

JTG51
09-20-2002, 04:36 PM
I'm glad you brought up the posibility of the BB having a 9, Jim. That was my thought at the time. I wasn't sure if I was being reasonable though. I also thought there was an ever so small chance the button had AA and decided to check behind on the flop.

In the end though, I don't think those reasons are enough to just call on the turn. I agree that I should have raised.

Dynasty
09-20-2002, 05:16 PM
The under-the-gun player's call of a double raise back to him means he is probably a bad player. If his hand was not good enough to raise with initially, how can he call a double raise back to him?

I could do this with a medium-to-small pocket pair. I would fold other limping hands such as KQo or ATs.

Gabe
09-20-2002, 06:11 PM
My guess is that UTG has KQs and the BB likely has a big hand, but may also have a busted heart flush, or an other hand you can beat.

JTG51
09-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Gabe hit UTG's hand right on the head. He had KQ. BB had KJ. My AK was good.

I cost myself 2 bets by not raising on the turn.

Regardless of the results in this case though, I think raising the turn is clearly the better play.

snakehead
09-21-2002, 12:12 AM
no reason not to cap it btf, bet it on the flop, and of course raise if bet into on the turn.

JTG51
09-21-2002, 12:27 AM
You would really bet the flop here? I'd say the chances that I have the best hand here are not great. The chances that someone will fold a better hand here are much less. Probably zero.

I agree with the rest though.