PDA

View Full Version : Flop Play? Silly or Sharp River Raise? Nut Flush on Double-paired Bd

Catt
03-05-2005, 11:48 PM
My reads are unfortunately limited and are based on stats with extremely small sample size though I have one note upon which I ended up relying quite a bit. MP3 shows up with 45 hands in PT at 36 / 22 / 2.63. I have no memory of his play, but I did make a note on him from previous play which, translated, reads: "Borderline maniac pre-flop though usually aggressive with decent position (MP and LP) and not in every hand; aggressive post-flop and may bet-bluff some small pots; showed down a few solid hands and a few instances of crap." I sat down a few hands before and witnessed MP3 pfr and bet-3-bet the flop, and bet the turn (opponent folds) for a win without showing his hand.

UTG was total unknown.

This is my first played hand at the table, posting in the CO.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

I should've 3-bet this, I think, but was digesting the PT stats which just popped up and reading the note I had on him. I also liked my relative position to the pfr so I could act on the flop without expecting being checked to, but looking back I think I should have 3-bet to ensure (at least with higher likelihood) folding out the button and blinds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Bad raise, right? Fold this? Call stuck between MP3 and UTG but with (arguably) the odds to call 2 overs (if we don't give credit for the Q), a BDFD, and a BDSD but with one to act behind? At the table, after digesting my own note and noting he was raising one limper with a poster behind him, I decided I couldn't give MP3 credit for any hand that this flop hits but that he still might have a hand worth raising pre-flop. I decided to try and get it heads up with MP3. I considered that my raise, combined with my calling pre-flop from a posted start might conceivably put the fear of a Q into MP3 and force UTG to fold facing two cold. On reviewing the hand I don't like this raise with essentially only A-high and BD draws, even if I credited MP3 with being a nut (which my notes do not say - only hyper aggressive.)

Turn: (6.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

MP3's bet really confused me. Why the stop-n-go? Does he really think I was raising for a free card on this flop? Could the 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif conceivably have helped his hand? If he felt strong, I couldn't figure out why he didn't either smoothcall the flop and check-raise the turn or 3-bet the flop. In any event I had the odds to draw to the best flush and thought that a FH or reasonable FH draw was not terribly likely.

River: (9.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, . . .

Now my flush hits. But the Board is double-paired. Can I / should I give MP3 or UTG credit for a Q or 4? I figured if UTG had a Q he would have spoken up earlier. I figure if MP3 had a Q he would have check-raised the turn or 3-bet the flop. I decide that MP3 almost surely does not have a FH but might have a medium PP (or who knows what) and UTG has at best a lower flush unless I am 3-bet. I raised, planning on folding to a 3-bet from MP3 (but would probably have looked at the pot size and my own hand and called), thinking I am ahead and that I could squeeze out another BB from MP3. If UTG 3-bet me I would call expecting a lower flush but be tempted to cap not believing he had a Q all along or a 4 when he limped UTG pre-flop.

I felt dirty as soon as I clicked raise, but couldn't give either credit for a Q or a 4.

Bob T.
03-06-2005, 12:42 AM
First, I think threebetting preflop would have been a good idea.

Second, since you didn't threebet, you played to make the pot as small as possible. I think folding on the flop probably makes more sense than raising. You really don't want to get into a raising war with a maniac, and your Ace high hand.

On the turn, I think calling is fine. Get the best odds possible for your draw.

On the river, if you call, and get an overcall, you win two bets, just as if you raised, and were called by one player.

So calling gets you two bets by risking one, but raising gets you two bets, by risking two or three. I think it's easy to see which one is better.

PokerBob
03-06-2005, 01:02 AM
I think you need to realize that villain may be open raising here with wide array of hands, since there is a poster in the hand. 3bet-pf to get him HU.