PDA

View Full Version : Would this be strange ?

09-20-2002, 01:10 PM
People talk a lot about "legitimising" poker, normally with a view to attracting corporate sponsorship. Make poker tournaments more like mainstream sporting events.

It strikes me though ... well what do you think. How would it look if each year, the coach of the winning team in the Superbowl was able to, no, was expected to tip the referee. With the amount being at his discretion. And the same referee in charge next year.

I don't think so, do you ? And yet this is the situation in poker. IMO, if you want poker to go mainstream, this is one of many things which has to change.

Andy.

scalf
09-20-2002, 02:46 PM
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif you'll probably get cracked aa about 15 times in a row...your post kinda like mentioning union shop in a right to work state...gl /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Mark Heide
09-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Andy,

All the poker media still talks about legitimizing poker tournaments. I doubt that it will happen. Occasionally, we get some sponsors, but its rare. So, I really don't think that you can compare poker tournaments to sports. At least half the guys that play these events are "out of shape." Plus, they hide their real tournament records from the public so we don't know if they are really good or not.

In order to judge whether any of these tournament players are any good you need to add up all the buy-ins and subtract that from their winnings. I don't see this being popular. Especially, for the backed players since most probably have long term loses. That's why I think the poker media only counts their wins. I'm not going to argue this fact, and I dare anyone on the tournament trail to show their balance sheets without fudging. Furthermore, the records for wins and loses would be easy to prove, since the major events you have to register for each event, it would be easy for the industry to report. Believe me, the majority of players out there do not want their records known.

I had to do a lot of research concerning tipping dealers. At the WPO they take out 3% of the pool. The WSOP left it up to the players to tip. After doing some research and grilling poker dealers, I found out that at the WSOP in 2001 the dealers received 1.5% of the 3% that was removed from the pool. So, I recommend 1.5%. I prefer that they take it out of the pool for tax reasons.

If you want to fix a sporting event, pay the referee. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Good Luck

Mark