PDA

View Full Version : Flopped quads, extracted the most value?

KyleH186
03-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB :Villain(hexan1981)/ (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($20.7)
SB ($37.27)
BB :#A500AF(hexan1981)/ ($43.15)
Hero ($57.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB :Villain(hexan1981)/ checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, hexan1981 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.50) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, hexan1981 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.50) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">hexan1981 raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, SB folds, hexan1981 calls $3.

Final Pot: $22.50

did i win the most that i could have here?

soah
03-05-2005, 09:20 PM
The most? All you did was a minraise on one street.

KyleH186
03-05-2005, 09:28 PM
i realize that, im wondering if i could have gotten more by raising more, or by leading the flop and/or turn.

amoeba
03-05-2005, 09:38 PM
i check the flop like you did. on the turn I think I would have bet 1. This not only gets you 1 extra if they call but if they catch something on the river and leads out, they lead out for more as the pot is inflated.

On the river I reraise to 20.

Los Feliz Slim
03-05-2005, 09:59 PM
You absolutely must raise more than the minimum on the river, at least $15.

edge
03-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Might as well bet the turn. They've checked it to you twice, so try to build a pot if either one has a pair or a Q.

AEKDBet
03-06-2005, 03:10 AM
I actually like the way you played it. You might have gotten called in two spots with the min raise, or reraised if the guy has a boat.

Other lines of play - a biger raise on the river would proably net you a fold. Most of the time you should bet the turn though to get some meat into the pot.

I would sheepishly bet the turn and hope they have some kind of draw, or might even call with ace high. Then just stick a decent price tag on the river if checked to you. Raise the [censored] out of their blocking bets, or againt a very aggressive player you could weak lead a checked river and hope for a big raise. 100NL at party this is pretty common.

swolfe
03-06-2005, 03:19 AM
i understand why everyone is saying to wait until the turn to bet, but i'd throw $1 at the flop. people are loosest with their calls on the flop, especially coming from last to act, which is often a steal. if they don't call $1 on the flop, there's probably not much that will turn that will make them call $1 then.

also, 4-handed...shouldn't you raise any pocket pair pre-flop? i play full table, so i'm curious...

burningyen
03-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Betting the flop has got to be wrong. There's nothing there for anyone to have a hand or a draw. The turn has a face card and a possible flush draw. I have to think that's the time to bet. If you wait until the river and no club hits, then you may not have any takers.

swolfe
03-06-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop has got to be wrong. There's nothing there for anyone to have a hand or a draw. The turn has a face card and a possible flush draw. I have to think that's the time to bet. If you wait until the river and no club hits, then you may not have any takers.

[/ QUOTE ]

they don't know that you have quads! a flop bet could mean a 4, any pocket pair, or even just an ace. in loose games people will call the flop bet with pretty much anything and by waiting for the turn, you're limiting how much you're going to win by a lot since there's no pot progression.

ryanghall
03-06-2005, 04:40 PM
A flop bet wouldn't be horrible but I don't think it is ideal, either.

I'd prefer to bet the turn. You *have* to bet this turn. If they fold, they fold. If you don't bet the turn, you're not setting yourself up to win a big pot on the river.

Ryan

burningyen
03-07-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they don't know that you have quads! a flop bet could mean a 4, any pocket pair, or even just an ace. in loose games people will call the flop bet with pretty much anything and by waiting for the turn, you're limiting how much you're going to win by a lot since there's no pot progression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously they don't know you have quads. And I admit I don't know the Party games. But look at it this way, for each of the possible hands that you say a flop bet would mean, what opponents' hands will give you action? Will the same players that would give you action when you bet the flop also give you action once the Q/images/graemlins/club.gif hits? Who is more likely to pay you on 2 streets?