PDA

View Full Version : Playing a shared bankroll

iceman5
03-05-2005, 05:34 PM
I know most people use this forum for hand analysis, but this IS a mid to high stakes question so I hope you guys dont mind.

Lets say you have 2 known consistent winning players. Both have $14k bankrolls and both want to play $5/$10 NL. Their rolls are short for that game, but what if they combined their bankrolls and played a shared roll?

They dont necessarily have to literally combine the rolls, but they are considered combined on paper for risk of ruin purposes.

So they have a combined $28K roll which should be plenty assuming they are winners.

Lets assume that these guys trust each other explicitly so we'll take cheating and mistrust out of the equation.

Both players agree to play and share all winnings. If one of them becomes much better than the other and feels like hes being held back, the arrangement can be disolved at some prearranged points (at the end of any month for example)

Do you feel that this is a viable plan? Ive heard that Doyle and Amarillo Slim and maybe a few others did this back in the day.

BobboFitos
03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Seems very viable.

Shaun
03-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I say go for it. You should probably just set specific future dates in which the partnership could be disolved. Maybe in one month intervals. Another good idea might be to set a stop loss limit for any 24 hour period. I'm not sure what number would be appropriate, but it might be a good idea.

Niwa
03-05-2005, 08:06 PM
I played with a shared bankroll quite some time and I really enjoyed it.

If you trust this person in general and trust his/hers skill-level I see no point why it would be a problem sharing. Just observe the other person playing sometimes so he/she doesn't get totally out of line.

theben
03-05-2005, 09:03 PM
if both parties can really trust each other and are very close, i think its fine. but there definetly should be some system for dissolution of the partnership. also set ground rules like loss limits etc, so your partner doesnt accdently steam away 4-5K.

if you are playing 5/10NL, which i would assume has a game buyin of 1000$, i think you could solo it with a 14K bankroll. 20 buyins is always nice, but 14X will do