PDA

View Full Version : party poker companion - nothing to fear here

Bodhi
03-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I just tried out party poker companion, and I think I would actually play worse if I followed its prompts to bet check or raise, etc. It doesn't seem to have any regard for position for selecting starting hands (it's loose); it doesn't tell you to bet middle pair against 2 opponents (it's passive); it has other weaknesses as well. The only good I can see in it is that it would make a really loose player tighten up, and it could calm down a maniac.

Any player who wants to improve can get way more bang for their buck from SSHE or something comparable.

ttw22
03-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Maybe it's been fixed since, but when I tried it, it looked like it had a huge flaw: No distinction between your hole cards and the board cards when evaluating your hand.

Let's say you have 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif and the flop comes A/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif. It would tell you that you have a great hand. I mean, after all, you do have a pair of aces with a king kicker, right? Also, I don't think it bases any of its suggestions (other than PF) off draws; only made hands. Unless if my opponent was very bad to begin with, I'd like to have him obeying this program's advice.

Bodhi
03-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Right. It would be more appropriate to say it's a waste of money, I suppose. When I first read about it I was worried and thought it was close to cheating, but now I'd be happy if my opponents were relying on it.

_And1_
03-06-2005, 05:25 AM
AAK63 is monster isnt it? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to hear thou...

Wally Weeks
03-06-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any player who wants to improve can get way more bang for their buck from SSHE or something comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that would require me to read and stuff. Does SSHE have a video version I can watch instead?

Gotta love it when people are so lazy that they'll let a rule-based bot tell them to check, bet, raise, or fold. I don't blame people to create such products. I couldn't help but to laugh when I saw a Vince Van Patten commercial on TV with his DVD set with endorsements from pros. It had comments like, and I'm paraphrasing, "Study this and you'll be able to beat the top pros tomorrow."

Sure, that almost sounds like, "Study this and you'll be able to [be one of] the top pros tomorrow." Close enough. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Things like this are +EV no matter how you slice it.

Regards,
Wally