PDA

View Full Version : 5/10: Limping and Loving it (short)

Zele
03-05-2005, 02:24 PM
I used to open raise or (more often) fold in EP with hands such as 55 and JTs. Now I limp, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

MAxx
03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
those two hands I estimate that i raise UTG 90% of the time, limp 10%, fold 0%.

the 10% of the time i limp, i usually remember why I like raising more.

arkady
03-05-2005, 02:37 PM
i am with maxx here, aggression pays off.

btw maxx, define 'futa' for me. I have a reasonble conjecture, but it seems really dirty and crude /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bunky9590
03-05-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to open raise or (more often) fold in EP with hands such as 55 and JTs. Now I limp, and I'm not ashamed to say it

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Zele
03-05-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw maxx, define 'futa' for me. I have a reasonble conjecture, but it seems really dirty and crude

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this request.

JerseyTom
03-05-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to open raise or (more often) fold in EP with hands such as 55 and JTs. Now I limp, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first step is acknowledging you have a problem. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don't worry... we're here for you, man.

Tom

arkady
03-05-2005, 02:58 PM
thing about 55, you can really do yourself good by raising. Often when you limp the post flop situation is less than favorable. Specifically 4 way out of position, pfft. When you raise you get to thin the field and can really fold out some better hands pre-flop. If you have good raising standards I would fold 66-88 to your raise!

Problem with the small pairs is that its hard to get the right equity pre flop to hit your set, so you have to take more drastic measures. Now that I just rambled, I have to say there is no shame in folding 55 in EP.

spider
03-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I fold 55 and am 50/50 on raising/limping JTs UTG. Limping JTs should be fine at a loose-passive table. El Diablo for one has mentioned limping JTs, QJs, and QTs UTG.

MAxx
03-05-2005, 03:10 PM
That's how many hands per hundred I want to put my <font color="blue"> F </font>oot <font color="blue"> U </font>p <font color="blue"> T </font>he <font color="blue"> A </font>ss of some donkey at Party 5/10 short.

It came up during a thread about how frustrating short can be, and I said something like the number of times per hundred I want to put my foot up someone's ass has gone up a few points relative to my prior full table play.

2.5 really isn't that high suppose, so maybe it is something to be proud of.

Zele
03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I agree raising has its benefits and limping can cause trouble, but often at this limit I find myself in a field so loose it would make Paris Hilton blush (:rimshot emoticon).

Anyways, TPSK gets paid off by A high, and a set can be a multiway jackpot. Now I'm not going to sit here and tell you the semibluff is completely dead, but it seems the lead means a lot less out of position in a likely 3+ way pot than in other, more favorable situations. So I've been experimenting with the EP limp, hopefully funded by others' greater post-flop mistakes, at least games that are relatively passive preflop.

arkady
03-05-2005, 03:12 PM
If you are going to get 4-6 cold callers every time, agreed, limp on in.

bunky9590
03-05-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you raise you get to thin the field and can really fold out some better hands pre-flop. If you have good raising standards I would fold 66-88 to your raise!

[/ QUOTE ]

See thing is, the big difference between you and me, I three bet 66-88 there.

MAxx
03-05-2005, 03:31 PM
haha me too, if it is the right situation... suchas isolation w/position vs nonsupertight raising standards.

ISF
03-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Ive started to do this with JTs as well, If raised I limp reraise about a third to half the time. I got berated for it about half an hour ago when the flop came j 10 2 and I took a hugh pot from pocket kings.

arkady
03-05-2005, 05:00 PM
hehe. Well I assume we are talking about reasonable players, not your average party donks. Oh and yes if I see you or anyone else showing down 55 as an utg raise, you are now a candidate for a 3 bet with a variety of hands.