PDA

View Full Version : Keep Betting MP Versus Calling Stations??

gaming_mouse
03-05-2005, 02:08 PM
These guys were pretty loose, calling station type players. Who thinks I should bet the turn again anyway?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (6 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero .....

tetonpete
03-05-2005, 02:17 PM
i'm betting....sounds like a couple players that will call a small bet with just about anything. I'll take a free showdown if called by both of them, though

Bob T.
03-05-2005, 02:22 PM
One of the things that I like to keep tabs on, is when they fold when they miss. There are frequently players, who regardless of their hand, and the board, always take on off on the flop if they only need to put in one bet. Sometimes, they call the turn also.

If these players frequently call the flop with nothing, or a thin draw like a gutshot, or a small pocket pair, then I think firing again on the turn is somewhere between required and a very good idea.

It all depends on how they play, some players might be very loose preflop, but if the call a flop bet, it means something.

Without having watched these particular players play, it is hard to say, but I don't think a turn bet is unreasonable anyway. You didn't get raised on the flop, which is a good sign, and you do have middle pair middle kicker.

Again, depending on how I thought my opponents played, I would bet this turn or not, but I don't think either is a big mistake.

chief444
03-05-2005, 02:27 PM
With the information given, I would bet and check the river through unimproved. I'm folding to a turn check/raise or river bet.

I raise this preflop.

gaming_mouse
03-05-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I raise this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

QJs is my cutoff for some reason. It's just that QTs is so easily dominated, I don't like raising it. Maybe this is wrong from MP after only 1 limper?

gaming_mouse
03-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Bob,

All Good advice. Thanks.

Entity
03-05-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I raise this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

QJs is my cutoff for some reason. It's just that QTs is so easily dominated, I don't like raising it. Maybe this is wrong from MP after only 1 limper?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty easy raise in MP3, especially if your seat selection is good, as you'll be more likely to fold out those hands that have you dominated.

Rob

pyroponic
03-05-2005, 07:42 PM
What hands do you guys raise with in MP?

a) how much does MP1 differ from MP3 in your opening standards

b) how many (if any) limpers will affect your decision to raise marginal hands

c) what hands are you raising with (suited broadway, KJo, ATo, K9s, QJo)?

I don't know what limits you are playing, but it seems like raising with these hands has less value in $3/6 than say $1/2. The reason I say this is because of less blind money, since your expending $6 for $4 in blind money whereas in $2/4 you'd be spending $4 for $3.

Only advantage at $3/6 is probably the blinds are less likely to call.

pyroponic
03-06-2005, 01:33 PM
MP preflop strategy anyone? ($3/6)

Bob T.
03-06-2005, 02:45 PM
The problem is, every table is a little different.

How likely are the players behind you to coldcall, and what will they coldcall with?

How about the players in front of you, that already limped, how well do they play, and what are their standards for limping?

How frequently do the blinds defend? How well do they play postflop?

How many shots will you have to fire, to win this without a showdown, and how much showdown value does your hand have unimproved?

What recent plays might have affected your image, and how can you best exploit that?

So all that aside, you would be raising big aces, big to medium pocket pairs, and suited broadways. With adjustments for the aforementioned questions, and probably some other factors too.