PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown

andyfox
09-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Just saw Jim Brown on The Best Damn Sports Show Period. He was brilliant: articulate and insightful on a range of issues, including his personal life, political and social affairs, and football. He was absolutely electrifying.

One can certainly disagree with some things he says, and one can also hold him in contempt for some of the things he's done in his life, but he's also tried to make a difference for the African-American community and his commanding presence is a marvel to behold.

scalf
09-20-2002, 08:21 AM
gr8 post as usual /forums/images/icons/smile.gif jim brown is a man..in capital letters...i even liked his movies...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

adios
09-20-2002, 08:29 AM
Yep very articulate, very intelligent and certainly a leader. It's unfortunate that some of his personal problems involving domestic disputes have tarnished his message a little. Greatest football player of all time IMO. Best appreciated by watching him play every Sunday and I watched him play quite a bit growing up in Cleveland. Saw him in Sante Fe about 2 years ago give a little talk in front of the New Mexico state legislature. I was there with my wife in the gallery and saw a man walking down the aisle among the representatives with his back to us. I told her I think that's Jimmy Brown I'd know that walk anywhere. Sure enough it was.

scalf
09-20-2002, 12:45 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif wow...gr8 anecdote...the old timers still talk about how harf jim brown hit them; when they were tackling him...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

andyfox
09-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I once heard one of the old Packers (Nitschke?) say that Brown hit him so hard he took the enamel off his teeth.
I agree with Tom--greatest football player ever.

I understand he was also one of the greatest lacrosse players ever as well in college.

scalf
09-20-2002, 12:51 PM
/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif yeah, what the hell would ya do with a pissed jim brown running str8 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif for ya with a lacrosse stick in his hands...lol...talk about horror...gl

adios
09-20-2002, 01:40 PM
A few more Jim Brown tidbits then I'll clam up.

I don't have the sources but some say he was better at lacrosse than at football.

Jim Brown was an excellent basketball player.

He used to get up so slow after running the ball. It looked like he couldn't run another play. Always walked when leaving and taking the field. He said it was to conserve his energy.

IMO he invented the "leaping over the pile" move at the goal line.

Jim Brown was an excellent pass receiver as well.

Many of his records stood for quite some time as he played in what is now the equivalent of 7 NFL seasons. It took Jerry Rice a long time to break his TD record. He still holds the yards per carry record I believe.

Since I had no previous Cleveland Brown runner to compare him too I thought having a back that ran for 100 yards a game, 5 yards a carry etc. was more or less normal. Leroy Kelly (another pro football hall of famer and arguably the greatest "mudder" ever) certainly played well after Jim Brown left but through the years no Brown came remotely close IMO. Greg Pruitt played well too but he certainly wasn't in Jim Brown's class. Almost 40 years later I'm still waiting (although I don't follow the Browns now).

Jim Brown played in an era where the split backfield was used extensively. No power I. When asked about how he would have liked playing in the power I Jim Brown said he would have loved it. Jim Brown was listed as a fullback as was a contemporary of his Jim Taylor of the Packers. It's fair to say I believe that fullback in pro football conjurs up something a little different today.

Paul Brown was asked once about why he didn't use Jim Brown as a decoy since the Brown's offensive game plan didn't change much. He said when you have a gun you shoot it.

09-20-2002, 01:46 PM
Any man that hits a woman is a piece of crap IMO. Sorry, but I do not share your admiration for this man, no matter how articulate or intelligent he is. I guess I come from the old school that has absolutely no tolerance or repect for a man who hits a woman (or women in this case), especially someone as big and imposing as Jim Brown.

Clarkmeister
09-21-2002, 10:08 PM
I've seen him interviewed several times. He is a marvelous interview. He reminds me of Chamberlain when talking about todays sports figures relative to older figures. Its too bad he can't stop beating his women.

Off Topic, but I recently was forced to reevaluate my "Best Football Player of All Time" opinion and remove him from the #1 spot and replace him with Jerry Rice.