PDA

View Full Version : Getting files off computer in safe mode

shadow29
03-05-2005, 01:27 PM
I've managed to completely screw up my computer, so I'm going to reinstall Windows.

I need to get all my stuff off the computer, but I can't burn a CD in safe mode (or can I?)

Also, I need to get some files off of an account that isn't an admin (thus I can't access it in safe mode) but everytime I boot up in regular mode I get a blue screen of death when I try to login.

Help?

(I'm typing this from my laptop, by the way).

fatmongo
03-05-2005, 02:47 PM
When you do reformat, partition your hard drive!!! Saves so much trouble next time you want to reinstall windows. You put all your program files on your c: drive and all your other documents and crap on your d: drive. That way next time windows goes bust, and it will, you just blow out the c:, and everything on your d: is safe and sound.

shadow29
03-05-2005, 02:54 PM
I was planning on partitioning. But any ideas on how I can get my stuff off this current setup?

thanks

fatmongo
03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah I realize my last post totally avoided answering your question. What I would do in your situation may not be the easiest solution, but I've done it before and it works for me. Get another hard drive, new or old, make it your master, format, and install Windows on that. Then just use your current drive as a slave. I'm sure there's better ways to solve your problem that don't involve a second drive, but I dunno about browsing non-admin folders from safe mode or anything like that. I never bothered not using an admin account.

Do you know what is wrong with your Windows exactly? I mean have you tried running anti-virus and adaware and stuff from safe mode? Sometimes that works wonders, but if its your registry thats messed up, thats over my head.

shadow29
03-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, there's no virus or spyware or adaware.

Basically I kept getting BSOD and I went to techsupportforums.com and they told me to do a repair install and that f'ed things up even more. doh!

TimM
03-05-2005, 05:22 PM
I would also do this second drive thing (or slave the drive in another computer to get the important stuff off). Since he has a laptop, there is another way. You can buy a hard drive enclosure for $20-$30 which will convert any IDE drive into a USB drive, and plug that into your laptop's USB port.

fatmongo
03-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I actually had to do this with my laptop back in December. I called up Dell, told them my drive was dead, and they sent me a replacement one next day air. I went out and bought an external usb 2.5" hd enclosure (for a smaller laptop hd), and after I installed windows on the new hd, I just plugged in the external and dragged and dropped all my junk. My idea was to return this enclosure after I sent back the bad drive, but I got lazy and waited too long, and now I'm stuck with this enclosure. I'm sure it will come in handy at some point again. Anyway it was only $20. There was also a piece for $6 that allowed you to plug a laptop hd into the ide cable inside a desktop pc, but I went to half a dozen stores and nobody had any in stock.

So if you are on a laptop, fear not. It can be done.

shadow29
03-05-2005, 06:11 PM
No, its the desktop that's fried.

It's a dell, how can I get them to send me another drive?

Pinga
03-05-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's under warranty just call them. It sounds like you have broken software, though, not a bad drive.

If you can burn a CD or have a friend do it, the Trinity Rescue Kit (http://trinityhome.org/trk/) is an option.

Google "repair windows linux boot cd" for more options.

Best,
Pinga

TimM
03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is probably nothing wrong with the drive, so I don't see how you could.

I always have drives and other parts laying around. You just need something big enough to hold windows and your data, so it could be an old small drive no one wants. Or, if the drive you had isn't big enough and were thinking of upgrading, now would be a good time.

Another option is to get Partition magic. Create a set of rescue floppies using your notebook. Boot to the floppies on the desktop, shrink the current partition as much as possible, and move it to the end. Now you can create a new partition is the unused space and install windows on it. But this is dangerous compared to the two drive method, because if you screw up you will possibly wipe your data.

If you want to go with the USB enclosure, you will have to open the desktop case and see what size and type of drive is in there. Then you can buy an enclosure that will hold this drive. Remove the drive from the desktop, and use this enclosure to connect it to the laptop and retrieve the data.

tj00
03-05-2005, 07:05 PM
You can still partion your drive before reinstalling windows. I use a program called a partion magic 7. You can partion your drive, move your data then reinstall windows.

edtost
03-05-2005, 07:09 PM
bart pe (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) might be another option.

Pinga
03-05-2005, 07:23 PM
That looks much simpler. Thanks for the link.

shadow29
03-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Ok, I downloaded that BartPE program.

It ran itself, I clicked on ISO/CD and burn to CD. I then put it into my desktop and used the boot menu to boot to CD-ROM device.

It pauses, then says strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.

I think something is seriously f'ed up.

astroglide
03-05-2005, 10:56 PM
you can try safe mode with networking and put it somewhere on your lan. the easiest way without messing with software is going to be connecting the hard drive to another computer.

shadow29
03-05-2005, 11:10 PM
That's what I'm going to end up doing. Any idea what the slave Jumper settings are for a Barracuda ATA V ST330013A?

When I put it in my other computer, does it just show up under My Computer?

astroglide
03-05-2005, 11:49 PM
come on dude. it should be written on the drive itself but you know you can look it up on seagate.com