PDA

View Full Version : more on Nuclear reactors for North Korea

brad
09-20-2002, 12:21 AM
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2002/09/16/007.html

Sokolski and Gilinsky, writing in The Washington Post, cited a study by the Lawrence Livermore weapons laboratory, which says upon the first scheduled refueling -- about 15 months after the reactors go into operation -- an LWR will contain about 300 kilograms of near-weapons grade material. Assume North Korea diverts that material to bomb-making, and it could have "a couple of dozen bombs in a couple of months."

Yet the program's backers argue, straight-faced, that because North Korea knows it will eventually be caught, it will be afraid to do this. Never mind that North Korea, like Iraq, is still keeping out UN weapons inspectors.

Jimbo
09-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Brad,

As soon as I saw the source Moskowtimes.com I laughed my ass off. You sure are desperate to make a point. Ever think of trying the Commie National Monthly Gazette to substantiate your positions?

Jimbo

brad
09-21-2002, 07:12 PM
yes well look at their point; they do the same thing for iran and are label-ed as bad by washington.

but, yes, i was kind of hesitant to post something from there. heh.

brad

Jimbo
09-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Brad,

The point is this article is 90% fiction. How can you consider someones' point valid when the facts behind their permise are distorted? Just what UN resolution asked for weapons inspectors to inspect North Korea? Hmmm, having a little trouble finding it? Imagine that!!! This coupled with the misinformation regarding the weapons capability of the radioactive reactor byproducts leads me to believe this was meant for Moskovites who read and believe rather than Americans who are allowed to doubt without independent unbiased verification.

Jimbo

brad
09-23-2002, 04:49 PM
maybe. still the US is building nuclear reactors for north korea.

brad

Jimbo
09-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Gee Brad, perhaps improving the standard of living in North Korea will keep them from invading South Korea. I dunno, do you? Would you rather have the people and the government of North Korea a little bit thankful to us for helping or would you prefer they owe their debt of gratitude to China. Either way the reactors are going to be built. At least the people approving these decisions in our State Department probably have a lot better concept as to whether this is a good idea than you or I.

Jimbo