PDA

View Full Version : Stop 'n go in limit hold em

aron
03-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Was just wondering about appropirate situations in limit hold 'em where the stop 'n go comes in handy.

I can see it's use in no-limit but not in limit, unless you improve of course.

-aron

AKQJ10
03-05-2005, 12:58 PM
This is probably a naive answer, but my first thought is that it's just a form of deception, so it depends on how sensitive your particular [limit] game is to deception. If your opponents are doing a good job of putting you on a hand, then stop-and-go would be valuable to cross them up. If they don't much care (e.g. in most low-limit games, and I'm told in some higher-limits) then it's probably pointless.

But that's just this micro-/low-limit player's thoughts on the matter....

To clarify this in my own mind, though, does "stop 'n go" mean playing the same hand differently across different betting rounds (in essence, slowplay) or does it mean changing your style to be sometimes aggressive, sometimes less so? My inference is the latter, but I'd like to make sure.

amoeba
03-05-2005, 03:04 PM
stop and go refers to calling a raise then betting out on the next street instead of reraising.

example: NL game, I have KK, I raise preflop, villain reraises.

at this point I can rereraise or I can call his reraise and bet the flop.

If I believe him to be somebody who will only call my rereraise here with AA/KK then its pointless for me to rereraise as he will only call if he ties me/beats me. Where as if I stop and go and bet say a rag flop, he is likely to call me down with say QQ.

Its mostly only effective in NL. not that useful in limit.

@bsolute_luck
03-06-2005, 01:17 PM
yeah i would think in low-limit, this "generally" wouldn't work because most players call you to showdown regardless, so stop-and-go techniques merely results in losing out on maximum winnings.