PDA

View Full Version : Home game strategy

paddy arthurs
03-05-2005, 12:13 PM
I was wondering if any one could help with coming up with a propery strategy for a home game i have been playin in recently. I usually play online multi-table tournies and sit and g's which i do pretty good at but i cant seem to beat the local game. We play a ten handed no limit holdem £20 buy in game starting with 5000 chips the blinds start at 100/200 and go up every 4 hands. =Each game only lasts about an hour. I would say that im probably the best player tactically but most players are very loose and just wont lay down a hand. Ive tried asome bluffs but they just dont work and with the relative small stacks compared to escalating blinds one bluff at a pot can cost u nearly ur whole stack. I usually wait 4 big hands and play them aggressively but the blinds eat away at ur stack pretty rapidly which is a structure im just not used to. Any help is appreciated.

dfscott
03-05-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We play a ten handed no limit holdem £20 buy in game starting with 5000 chips the blinds start at 100/200 and go up every 4 hands. =Each game only lasts about an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a structure that minimizes skill and maximizes luck.

[ QUOTE ]
I would say that im probably the best player tactically but most players are very loose and just wont lay down a hand. Ive tried asome bluffs but they just dont work and with the relative small stacks compared to escalating blinds one bluff at a pot can cost u nearly ur whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffs don't work against loose "no-folders". The way to make money off them is to value bet your good hands. Of course, with the blinds going up so fast, you're not going to get as many good hands, so it boils down to how many good hands you get vs how fast the blinds eat you up (i.e., luck).

Don't beat yourself up about not being able to win -- it's like trying to be a winning roulette player. Either stop playing that game or climb on the monkey wagon and lag it up (any two can win!).

Jbrochu
03-05-2005, 05:13 PM
I would add that once they realize that every time they call you, you're on top of them, your action will slow down when you bet. This is when you start playing your weaker starting hands.