PDA

View Full Version : fights

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 03:21 AM
So I'm drunk. On my way home tonight, some guy I didn't know at all yells something insulting at me, then immediatly yells something insulting about being a puss for not fighting him for the first insulting thing he said. I have backed down very rarely from fights in my life. However, I'm getting older and starting to think this kind of this is stupid bullshit. But after his second round of insults, I, were it not for my more level headed friends, would have tried to kick his ass. Am I a moron? Am I a pussy? Am I an adult? Thoughts?

slickpoppa
03-05-2005, 03:24 AM
fighting is dumb

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 03:26 AM
Why? (I'm not being an ass here, I swear)

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 03:29 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would have loved to kick that guy's ass. And that thought makes me dislike myself. However, the thought of what I did, which was walking away, also makes me dislike myself. Someone say something profound to me which helps my belief system. You're all intelligent people, I know it's in you. So give it a shot.

slickpoppa
03-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Because fighting doesn't accomplish anything and the potential negative consequences are high (legal, financial, medical, etc.).

Soul Daddy
03-05-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because fighting doesn't accomplish anything and the potential negative consequences are high (legal, financial, medical, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is about as logical of a response as you'll receive. There are certainly situations that merit coming to blows, but silly machismo over some goof talking [censored] is not one.

[censored]
03-05-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It accomplishes kicking someone's ass which makes you feel better and him feel worse.

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the response, I like what you have to say. However, let me add a few things.

1) Fighting does have some positive consequences. For example, beating the [censored] out of someone you hate really does make you feel better about yourself, at least temporarily.

2) Not fighting does have negative consequences, in that you feel less significant in being unable to defend yourself physically. It basically reduces a dimension of your worth. (IE I am strong mentally, I am strong emotionally, but apparently I am not strong physically). And I think we all know that your self perception is very important.

3) I definitely agree that the possible negative consequences of a fight are not nearly worth the possible positive consequences. But what are the chances that you get sued for a drunken street fight? EV calculation anyone?

Soul Daddy
03-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Plus, passing up a fight to come home drunk and register a 2+2 account is very +EV.

[censored]
03-05-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm drunk. On my way home tonight, some guy I didn't know at all yells something insulting at me, then immediatly yells something insulting about being a puss for not fighting him for the first insulting thing he said. I have backed down very rarely from fights in my life. However, I'm getting older and starting to think this kind of this is stupid bullshit. But after his second round of insults, I, were it not for my more level headed friends, would have tried to kick his ass. Am I a moron? Am I a pussy? Am I an adult? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar situation a while back and acted the same. I decided it was just being an adult and not some [censored] white trash piece of [censored] loser who still thinks and acts like he is in highschool.

There is a time and place to kick someone's ass but that wasn't one of them.

mr pink
03-05-2005, 03:42 AM
you can feel good about yourself knowing that you were *not* the drunken tool starting [censored] with total strangers because he is so pathetic that he needs to bully others in order to feel good about himself... seriously this guy's a joke, laugh at him.

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, passing up a fight to come home drunk and register a 2+2 account is very +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect ! But I should say, I am a long time lurker and occasional poster here. I registered this login to ask stupid questions to a group I have a lot of respect for.

3rdEye
03-05-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar situation a while back and acted the same. I decided it was just being an adult and not some [censored] white trash piece of [censored] loser who still thinks and acts like he is in highschool.

There is a time and place to kick someone's ass but that wasn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's not like this guy banged your wife or your sister or something. Avoiding a fight was definitely +EV in this situation.

slickpoppa
03-05-2005, 03:46 AM
You are correct that fighting has some positives and not fighting has some negatives, but the possible negatives of fighting outweigh these. Even if you are sure you can beat the sh*t out of the other guy, you could still break your hand in the process or have one of his friends hit you over the head with a bottle. If you really want to show the guy up, have sex with his girlfriend and send him pictures.

Daliman
03-05-2005, 03:47 AM
So, in other words, the best-case scenario for you is you feel better about beating up a moron? While the worst-case scenarios include getting the chit kicked out of you, getting arrested, getting sued, going to jail/prison, getting killed, getting robbed, and felling terrible about yourself.

Is it even close for you? In a case like this, it shouldn't be.

Soul Daddy
03-05-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to show the guy up, have sex with his girlfriend and send him pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you'll have a reason to fight.

nothumb
03-05-2005, 03:59 AM
It sounds like what you need is not a good fight but some help (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com) sorting out your priorities and beliefs.

You have problems asserting yourself in the world, which translates into pent-up aggression, which is not good for your heart or blood pressure. I suggest you take it out on someone emotionally vulnerable and smaller than you in a lopsided, manipulative relationship.

Oh, wait, that's an awful idea. Just shoot yourself.

NT

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, in other words, the best-case scenario for you is you feel better about beating up a moron? While the worst-case scenarios include getting the chit kicked out of you, getting arrested, getting sued, going to jail/prison, getting killed, getting robbed, and felling terrible about yourself.

Is it even close for you? In a case like this, it shouldn't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great response. So while reading peoples' thoughts, I had a few of my own.

1) If getting into a fight is so -EV, does that mean it's +EV to start a fight? Probably not, because both parties have the same small positive expectation (yeah, I'm awesome) but a large negative expectation (damnit, I just got sued).

2) I wouldn't mind hearing a few opposing responses.

3) I'm not sure I put the apostrophe in the right place in the word "peoples'." Also, that fact that I am even thinking about this nuance while I am as drunk as I am astounds me.

[censored]
03-05-2005, 04:02 AM
I think you are nearing the point where the creation of this 2nd account is +EV /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soul Daddy
03-05-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If getting into a fight is so -EV, does that mean it's +EV to start a fight?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if you have a lot of folding equity.

slickpoppa
03-05-2005, 04:03 AM
This is the stage we call "Professor Barney"

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 04:05 AM
I really need to read this thread tomorrow, when I'm sober. Hopefull it will make more sense to me then.

dr. klopek
03-05-2005, 04:06 AM
They're all wrong. Crack his [censored] skull.

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 04:07 AM
So what you're saying is, this type of move should only be attempted against players that are aware enough to lay down decent hands? Don't start fights with total f*cking lunatics with nothing to lose? Makes sense to me. Still seems -EV though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nothumb
03-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Also, Bayesian analysis suggests that guys goading total strangers to fight in this sitting are highly likely to be able to [censored] your [censored] up.

NT

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 04:09 AM
I think the budhist monk in your avatar setting himself aflame to protest atrocities of the vietnam war would have to disagree /images/graemlins/grin.gif

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Bayesian analysis suggests that guys goading total strangers to fight in this sitting are highly likely to be able to [censored] your [censored] up.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. I liked this post a lot better than your first one, which made me want to kick YOUR ass. Which I guess means that you are more likely than not able to slap the [censored] out of me? Believable enough. This thread by way, is far more entertaining to me than I would have ever imagined, and has recieved far more responses than any on-topic post I have had (on my other login name).

dr. klopek
03-05-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the budhist monk in your avatar setting himself aflame to protest atrocities of the vietnam war would have to disagree /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha, Touche.

nothumb
03-05-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Also, keep in mind that you're drunk, which means you can't really fight. I know, a lot of people say they fight better when drunk, but they don't. I have been involved in many situations with doormen or bar disputes where huge guys get manhandled because they're pissed.

[ QUOTE ]
I liked this post a lot better than your first one, which made me want to kick YOUR ass. Which I guess means that you are more likely than not able to slap the [censored] out of me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth hurts, huh? It's ok, most people have trouble actualizing in today's society without being total assclowns. As for me kicking your ass, I don't know. Moot point.

NT

Daliman
03-05-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Occam's razor agrees.

Dammit, just cut myself with it...

somethingstupid
03-05-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Also, keep in mind that you're drunk, which means you can't really fight. I know, a lot of people say they fight better when drunk, but they don't. I have been involved in many situations with doormen or bar disputes where huge guys get manhandled because they're pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely something I struggle to keep in mind. Alcohol does ridiculous things to me. But yes, it should be obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I liked this post a lot better than your first one, which made me want to kick YOUR ass. Which I guess means that you are more likely than not able to slap the [censored] out of me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth hurts, huh? It's ok, most people have trouble actualizing in today's society without being total assclowns. As for me kicking your ass, I don't know. Moot point.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing I struggle to keep in mind (while I'm drunk anyway) is that I'm not much of a fighter. When I drink, I generally consider myself Mike Tyson / 50 Cent / Brad Pitt. My most fun nights lean towards some perception of being good looking. My worst, without question, involve me being a stupid angry hardass. Thanks, I do appreciate the kick in the ass.