PDA

View Full Version : KEM

Brash620
03-05-2005, 03:06 AM
I heard a rumor that KEM went out of bussiness. Does anyone know if their is any truth to that?

TenPercenter
03-05-2005, 03:19 AM
They were bought out by another playing card company. Equipment and all. Can someone tell us about th new cards... are tyhey out, and are there any quality issues?

Ten

brainlessdog
03-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Here is a copy of an E-Mail I got from US Playing Cards.

Yes we bought out Kem, we will have is card about mid March.

Angie Koetting
Consumer Relations / Inside Sales Representative
United States Playing Card Company
4590 Beech Street
Cincinnati, OH 45212

She can't spell too well, but that is what she sent me 1/7/05. I have bought Copag cards and they play just as nice.

duma
03-05-2005, 04:53 PM
well mid-March is fast approaching and i havent heard any new Kem news for 2 months. i really hope that USPC gets their act together. from the email above, i guess it gives us an idea of the intelligence level of their company /images/graemlins/wink.gif so i wouldnt get your hopes up.

Irons
03-05-2005, 05:02 PM
A store I went to had the new cards (however, it was a month ago). I don't have a long history with KEM's or Copag's. The store did have both the original and new KEM cards. The new ones weren't bad, but not like the originals. To me they fealt more slick, not as textured, and the color wasn't as vibrant.

I thought the Copags were better then the new KEM's and bought a couple decks of those.

SenecaJim
03-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Damn. shoulda stocked up!

paulsonchips
03-06-2005, 07:00 PM
KEMS should be out in June

Jersey Nick
03-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I just picked up an old set from an e bay store that were manufactured in Sep. 2002 (902 on A/images/graemlins/spade.gif). They look and feel great. I'm planning on getting at least 3 to 5 more sets from my seller before they're all gone.

Nick

duma
03-14-2005, 05:58 PM
nicetoys had the USPC Kems on sale again over the weekend and quickly sold out. i missed out again! why they are the only retailer with USPC Kems i have no idea.

duma
03-15-2005, 03:48 AM
any other place that sells uspc kems?

warewulf
03-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I got some at nicetoys. They still have the California Club back which is my favorite design:
http://www.nicetoys.com/kemcaliforniaclub.html

They're only $17.95, but they scam you a bit on shipping -- $6.50.

I figured I'd buy an extra set just in case they stop making this back or if the new ones suck.

BreakEven
03-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Large conglomerate (USPC) buys smaller specialty manufacturer (KEM). The new owner will want to use their equipment, their management and technical people, their suppliers, their printing, etc. For those who anticipate that the new KEMs will be like the old KEMs are likely to be disappointed. That's not to say that the new KEMs won't also be good cards....just not the same.

A co-worker just dropped a set of DelNegros on my desk and they felt nice. I think they feel similar to Copags with a slightly more "papery" feel.

trying2learn
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
just ordered a set from nicetoys as well...thanks for the tip! i have four decks that i love, but would be very dissapointed if they start making less quality cards and i didn't get another before the switch.

jtnt1096
03-15-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got some at nicetoys. They still have the California Club back which is my favorite design:

I figured I'd buy an extra set just in case they stop making this back or if the new ones suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize these sets are vinyl and not plastic right? I have played with these and wasn't too impressed. Liked the original plastic cards much better.

duma
03-15-2005, 05:07 PM
so why is nicetoys the only place that can get USPC Kems?

anyone care to make a guess?

warewulf
03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize these sets are vinyl and not plastic right? I have played with these and wasn't too impressed. Liked the original plastic cards much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two other sets. If they're all vinyl, then I'm happy with them. Not sure if there's a difference.

Browny
03-18-2005, 12:09 AM
I just recieved two new decks (red, blue) of the new Kem arrow's from nice toys tonight. I am very impressed! I had heard the rumors about the new cards not being nearly as good as the originals, but that does not seem to be true. I have at least a dozen or so of the original Kem's and after taking a very close look at these there is not much difference. The A /images/graemlins/spade.gif now says "by the US Playing Card Co. and there is a new contact/info card included. Maybe they are slightly less textured and perhaps a touch stiffer than the originals, but in no way is it much of a difference. I am not sure what a previous poster meant by "vinyl" but the new card still says they are cellulose acetate. I bought these because I really wanted the arrow backs and the only ones I could find of the old ones were like $57 bucks. Seeing the arrow design now in person I am so glad I got these-what a great design-awesome. IMHO anyone worried about these new Kem's being an inferior product need not. They are still at the head of the class.

cb

duma
03-18-2005, 12:38 AM
too bad they are [censored] sold out! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

left
03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
fyi: most of the kem arrows on ebay are made by uspc. yes, i emailed the sellers.

tubalkain
03-19-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fyi: most of the kem arrows on ebay are made by uspc. yes, i emailed the sellers.

[/ QUOTE ]

and they're all vinyl?

because if they are, they're [censored]

left
03-19-2005, 09:16 AM
same type of material as og kems.

b8factor
03-19-2005, 10:05 AM
I live in Cincy were USPC is located. I use to go down to thei office and get BEE decks for dirt cheap.

I think I might go see if they have any KEMS in and if thier is a discount for bulk? Would anybody be interested in 10-20 decks if I can get a discount? Not looking to make money here just get some for myself at cost.

Also, I purchased some KEMs off ebay, full bleed, looked like BJ decks and was dissapointed. After some use we found out that the back design had some defects! Some areas were ligter, as if light had warn the color down slighting. Or they were just missprints? Eitehr way it became easy to see the defects when you knew what you were looking for... no good for poker. Like having a marked deadk! Has anyone esle had this problem?

warewulf
03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Just got my set -- The brown deck is fine, but the green deck appears to be used, doesn't slide well on felt like the brown deck. Plus one joker from each deck has letters on them: One says D the other F. I know someone mentioned this before, don't remember if anyone ever found out what they mean.

I emailed them to exchange the green deck. Will post when I hear back. Both were shrink wrapped.

TenPercenter
03-22-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in Cincy were USPC is located. I use to go down to thei office and get BEE decks for dirt cheap.

I think I might go see if they have any KEMS in and if thier is a discount for bulk? Would anybody be interested in 10-20 decks if I can get a discount? Not looking to make money here just get some for myself at cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested, if they were really cheap.

Ten

warewulf
03-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Ok, this kicks ass!

[ QUOTE ]

Hello - as you probably already know, Kem is no longer in production.
Some of the last sets they sent us were defective - most certainly NOT
used.

We will send out another deck of green cards.

Don't worry about sending the defective ones back.

-Nice Toys

[/ QUOTE ]