PDA

View Full Version : Fake College Diplomas +EV?

TStoneMBD
03-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Lately I've seen insta-college diplomas for sale on the internet, and I thought, "Hrm, if this poker thing doesn't work out for me I can always fall back on a fake diploma." It's always good to have a backup plan and I want to make sure that mine is a sure thing. Do these things work? When you apply for a job do they ever research your diploma to make sure this is legitimate?

pshreck
03-05-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Hrm, if this poker thing doesn't work out for me I can always fall back on a fake diploma."

[/ QUOTE ]

From this statement, I think you can be pretty sure your poker thing isn't going to work out.

OrangeHeat
03-05-2005, 01:49 AM
FWIW I have had three jobs requiring degrees and have had to show mine 0 times.

Orange

EliteNinja
03-05-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I have had three jobs requiring degrees and have had to show mine 0 times.

Orange

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you can just con your way into jobs without the credentials. Forget about buying fake diplomas. You can be a con-artist for free.

Michael Davis
03-05-2005, 02:05 AM
That doesn't mean they haven't been verified.

-Michael

eric5148
03-05-2005, 02:16 AM
I would never get a job that requires a diploma. I don't like being a slave.

jimymat
03-05-2005, 02:54 AM
A guy that hired on our fire dept. lied about an EMT license and they found out. Probably depends on the job texture. Medical fields probably get looked at more than say a manager at Kinko's.

Wayfare
03-05-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a good time at 3-6 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beset7
03-05-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A guy that hired on our fire dept. lied about an EMT license and they found out. Probably depends on the job texture. Medical fields probably get looked at more than say a manager at Kinko's.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many cases of people faking a JD and taking the bar exam. Especially in poorer states with old-fashioned bar associations.

[censored]
03-05-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That doesn't mean they haven't been verified.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right on the money. When I got my job at an accounting firm the recruiters (who interview) never once asked about my degree or grades. However, I found out later that the HR department requested directly from the school a copy of my transcripts which they recieved.

daryn
03-05-2005, 04:39 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a good time at 3-6 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oww low blow.

Ray Zee
03-05-2005, 11:16 AM
most likely no one will ever find out. especially if you dont move up in the company. but what if you do stay for many years and advance. then they find out and fire you as they dont want a fraud around. if you are goodyou can move up in life in whatever postion you seek. if not then you may be better off a fake if its just money you are after.

The Armchair
03-05-2005, 01:13 PM
A surprisingly high number of organizations will check with the school to see if you attended and graduated. I've run checks myself a number of times for what many would consider pissant companies and unimportant jobs.

It's easy: You call the university, ask for the registrar, ask if so-and-so graduated and if so, when. It's a thirty second, free (save for the cost of the car) way to check is a potential hire would lie to get the job.

Don't do it.

sthief09
03-05-2005, 01:33 PM
is earning a real one out of the question? you could always take night classes or something and play during the day

eric5148
03-06-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have a good time at 3-6

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
oww low blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

To each his own, Daryn. I would much rather make 30k a year playing 3/6 than 300k a year doing TPS reports ( yes, I know nobody would ever make 300k a year doing TPS reports, it's just theoretical). Money is about 4th on the list of things that make me happy.

Zeno
03-06-2005, 12:15 PM
This may depend on the type of degree or diploma you are faking and also if you already have some knowledge in a field or some schooling to adequately 'fake it' in the work place.

But this would be more difficult the more advanced or technical the degree. In addition, co-workers may suspect something is up, especially if you don't know the language, jargon, and lingo of your faked degree. Then you are in trouble and will be looked at closely and get shown the door. I doubt you could 'fake' a degree in say Physics, Marine Biology or a MBA for example (unless you did the schooling to almost graduate but did not).

And yes, some firms and companies do check, and if they don't initially then they certainly will if they suspect something is up. So you would have be so good at ‘faking’ that the majority of people that you work with won't notice any deficiencies etc. and etc.

[ QUOTE ]
"Hrm, if this poker thing doesn't work out for me I can always fall back on a fake diploma."

[/ QUOTE ]

And falling back on being a charlatan is about as low as being a backwoods Baptists Preacher, caterwauling from a gospel tent conning poor rural people out of their last rent money or the old and feeble out of their social security checks.

-Zeno

fnord_too
03-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Now a days, a lot of the jobs I have been interviewed for do a background check. (And right now I am in DoD contracting, so I get another check done once hired).

I think big companies are moving towards verifying things for the jobs they offer that are worth having. I think the chance of having your info verified goes up with the salary of the job.

Also, even though you usually don't work in the field you study in college, you actually do get to use a lot of the knowledge you pick up. It is not too rough to get a degree from a community college or small usniveristy going part time, you may consider doing something like that if you are worried about getting a white collar job later in life.

There are plenty of good jobs that do not require a degree, and there are many entrepreneurs who don't have degrees, so you have that route open as well, though you should definitely take some classes or educate yourself if you start your own business.

On a final note, I cannot under any circumstances advocate supporting those spamming bastards selling fake degrees. (I really hate spam.) Also, why bother buying one? Just lie if you are so inclined, you are no more or less likely to get caught (though I don't think that is a good route, either.)