PDA

View Full Version : ?

NLSoldier
03-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Why does the question mark key require the use of the shift key? It is clearly used far more frequently then its counterpart, the forward slash.

nolanfan34
03-05-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why does the question mark key require the use of the shift key? It is clearly used far more frequently then its counterpart, the forward slash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about the parenthesis.

jason_t
03-05-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That they are used more frequently than their counterparts, the symbols for nine and zero?

pshreck
03-05-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily has to do with what keys were being used when the first keyboards were designed. Forward and backward slash were probably some of the most important keys. Outside of word processing there probably wasnt a ton of use for the question mark.

stabn
I use the / far more than the ?

nolanfan34
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That they are used more frequently than their counterparts, the symbols for nine and zero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

OK, I'm drunk. Maybe I meant the quotation, OK? Although the apostraphe is used a lot...hmmm....

nolanfan34
03-05-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I use the / far more than the ?

[/ QUOTE ]

COMPUTER NERD ALERT!!

NLSoldier
03-05-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
COMPUTER NERD ALERT!!

[/ QUOTE ]

manpower
03-05-2005, 03:48 AM
The current keyboard we use seems to be in place mostly because changing it is a pain in the ass. For instance, the 'dvorak' keyboard is supposed to be much better than the current 'qwerty' keyboard we use. But since everyone is used to it, it's gonna be tough to change it.

So the question mark just seems to be an extension of the question above.

slickpoppa
03-05-2005, 03:52 AM
The QWERTY key layout was actually designed to make people type slower. The reason was that back in the day typewriters used to jam when someone would type too quickly.

bcunha
03-05-2005, 04:22 AM
This, along with the DVORAK layout being faster, are both myths.

People can type fast with the QWERTY layout anyway.

lighterjobs
03-05-2005, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily has to do with what keys were being used when the first keyboards were designed. Forward and backward slash were probably some of the most important keys. Outside of word processing there probably wasnt a ton of use for the question mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say the same thing. I think when the new keyboard was invented years back to make frequently used keys more accessible, they made the ? a non shift key.

IggyWH
03-05-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to say the same thing. I think when the new keyboard was invented years back to make frequently used keys more accessible, they made the ? a non shift key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure of why you need shift for ? but your keyboard reasoning has a hole.

QWERTY keyboard was invented because it was the most efficient at the time. It caused the least amount of jamming on the first typewriters. It had nothing to do with speed or accessible keys.

Dvorak, who created AOEUIDHTNS was based on most used keys.

[This concludes the nerdy computer talk]

lighterjobs
03-05-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not sure of why you need shift for ? but your keyboard reasoning has a hole.

QWERTY keyboard was invented because it was the most efficient at the time. It caused the least amount of jamming on the first typewriters. It had nothing to do with speed or accessible keys.

Dvorak, who created AOEUIDHTNS was based on most used keys.

[This concludes the nerdy computer talk]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was talking about the "dvorak". wasn't sure what it was called. what i meant to say was that it was invented to make frequently used keys easily accessible.