PDA

View Full Version : qualify or buy-in directly to big mtt

rvS
03-05-2005, 12:29 AM
I was just curious if most of you try qualifying for the more expensive mtts, or just buy in directly? I personally dont feel comfortable forking out $162 to play a party super weekday yet, so I grind through qualifiers to try and get in that way. Ive mostly played sng Q's, but gotten a couple thru mtt Q's. Im thinking dollar wise, mtt qualifiers would be better, but they take hours to complete. Which ones do you prefer?
I appreciate any responses /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SoCalPat
03-05-2005, 12:37 AM
It's bankroll dependent.

Somewhere out there, Tom McEvoy gives his .02 on how much you should be willing to spend on satellite play for a MTT. After you reach that threshold, he advises that you're better off looking for another tournament.

Elaboration
03-05-2005, 12:53 AM
FWIW, I play single table qualifiers. The play is remarkably poor and it only takes about 45-60 min.

Regards,
E

bugstud
03-05-2005, 06:56 AM
I generally will play batches of STT's for the weekdays and sometimes a MTT for the weekend tourns.

Stipe_fan
03-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I am working on an experiment.I am keeping track of all my qualifiers through PokerTracker. I want to play 50 qualifiers to the weekday supers and the weekend specials. I have about 30 weekday qualifiers under my belt. Right now it is a wash. I won 4 weekdays and have spent $680. I place in the top 3 over 35% of the time but you need to be first or second to make the money or win the satelite. I guess my goal was to get 50% or 60% discount on the regular buy-in which in not happening. I am going to continue to work it this way for another two weeks. If I can't improve my win rate, it is not worth the time wasted. I can make more money playing $20-$50 SnG or 3-6 limit.

FWIW,

Stipe

fnord_too
03-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I used to qualify, but now I just buy in directly. The transition was based on two things: bankroll growth and oppotunity cost. Now that I have a good bankroll, buying in directly does not hurt it and now that I can make more at other games than I can qualifying (i.e. I can make more than I expect to save qualifying) qualifying makes no sense for me any more.

I still play the TEC SnGs sometimes on UB, but I don't have a big roll there and they are sooooooo soft I occasionally sit in them.

Unparagoned
03-05-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to qualify, but now I just buy in directly. The transition was based on two things: bankroll growth and oppotunity cost. Now that I have a good bankroll, buying in directly does not hurt it and now that I can make more at other games than I can qualifying (i.e. I can make more than I expect to save qualifying) qualifying makes no sense for me any more.

I still play the TEC SnGs sometimes on UB, but I don't have a big roll there and they are sooooooo soft I occasionally sit in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this question is too invasive, feel free not to answer, but at what size bankroll did you hit this point?

fnord_too
03-05-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm not entirely sure, it was a while ago and I had my bankroll spread over a few sites, and I was withdrawing money while building it up. I'd guess 6k or so.

SoBeDude
03-05-2005, 06:26 PM
it depends on the value of your time, versus the value of the money it costs to buy in. My buyin limit online is in the $200 range. More than that and I try to win a seat. I won a seat for tomorrow's $600 buyin 1 Mil guaranteed tourney on Paradise, for example.

-Scott